Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Compass Setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Very nice setup though unfortunate that changes like the rectangular hatch are not provided standard from Hobie. Clearly room to have a rectangular hatch on the Compass as there is with the Outback but for god knows what reason the people at Hobie continue to provide this very functional feature only on the Pro Angler boats. One should not have to go to a PA 12 to get a functional hatch for tackle boxes (which are rectangular).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
fiddlefadel wrote:
Steve I looked at seadecks site and don't see the compass mat available.
Thanks
Dave

You probably won't see the Compass kits online with SeaDek until the end of the month. They will offer a version online for the stock setup from the factory (i.e. circular hatch in front of the seat and no hatch up front). To get one like mine would require you to contact SeaDek regarding a custom kit. They will sell mine (minus the Hobie "H" logo unless you have written permission from Hobie to use the logo. So basically they would send you the mylar dryfit template from my kit so you can draw any adjustment lines so it matches your rectangular hatch installation. The rest of the kit would not require any adjustments since the rectangular hatch installation is really the only area that could vary by individual installs. :wink:

No idea as to the price of a kit.

I called SeaDek. Pricing is between 375 and 400...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joetrain wrote:
Brilliant. That explains why I didn’t think of it.
~JOE~

Yak attack also sells a cup holder that mounts to yak attack type rails. Take the mount off the bottom and replace with heavy duty command “Velcro” on the bottom and it fits perfectly. Even has little slots on the top to hold your lures to prevent them getting hooked together. Does not interfere with your legs paddling or pedaling. Makes Hobie’s useless cup holder functional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old Salty Jim wrote:
SRAces wrote:
fiddlefadel wrote:
Steve I looked at seadecks site and don't see the compass mat available.
Thanks
Dave

You probably won't see the Compass kits online with SeaDek until the end of the month. They will offer a version online for the stock setup from the factory (i.e. circular hatch in front of the seat and no hatch up front). To get one like mine would require you to contact SeaDek regarding a custom kit. They will sell mine (minus the Hobie "H" logo unless you have written permission from Hobie to use the logo. So basically they would send you the mylar dryfit template from my kit so you can draw any adjustment lines so it matches your rectangular hatch installation. The rest of the kit would not require any adjustments since the rectangular hatch installation is really the only area that could vary by individual installs. :wink:

No idea as to the price of a kit.

I called SeaDek. Pricing is between 375 and 400...

I see that SeaDek has the standard kit online for the Compass starting at $207. It's based on my template work. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Edit: wrong thread

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

awdiwo wrote:
Joetrain wrote:
Brilliant. That explains why I didn’t think of it.
~JOE~

Yak attack also sells a cup holder that mounts to yak attack type rails. Take the mount off the bottom and replace with heavy duty command “Velcro” on the bottom and it fits perfectly. Even has little slots on the top to hold your lures to prevent them getting hooked together. Does not interfere with your legs paddling or pedaling. Makes Hobie’s useless cup holder functional.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too was unhappy with the molded cupholder on the Compass. Based on the above post I purchased the YakAttack MulitMount Cup Holder. Word of warning, it does not fit in the Compass molded recess. The diameter of the YakAttack holder is too large to allow for it to be mounted to the bottom of the Compass cup holder with 3M adhesive. Reading the description I also noted that the YakAttack cup holder did not have the slots for lures described. I am unsure if YakAttack changed their design or if the original poster was confused about the cup holder they had. Using my old guy inter-web skills, I found the Scotty #310 Cup holder http://scotty.com/product/no-310-drink-holder/ that has the mentioned slots and looked to me to be a smaller in diameter than the MultiMount holder. I also found the Scotty #442 Cup Holder Button with adhesive backing http://scotty.com/product/no-442-cup-holder-button-w-3-stick-on-accessory-mount/. Well, I took a chance and ordered both online for just about $20. It arrived today and I ran to the garage and did a test fit on my Compass which is currently upside down on my trailer. Looks like a perfect fit! I'll actually mount it when I pull it off the trailer Friday. I will post pictures when it's complete. I did see a post from Hobie that they were working on some kind of bungee retrofit but I prefer an insert that goes higher up the sides of a can, cup or bottle. Just wanted to let those of you who aren't in love with Hobie's cup holder know that its not the YakAttack unit that fits it's the Scotty (at least on my boat).

'18 Compass (mine)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry it took so long to get pics posted. Got busy and WX hasn't cooperated. Fits like it was made for it although the coffee mug slots are to the rear because the side with the Scotty logo has a bracket for bulkhead mounting. However, having it forward allows for access to the hook hangers. 8)

'18 Compass (mine)

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Coastie for the tip on the Scotty cup holder, I ordered parts 310 and 442. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great! I might have to go that route. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,
I just bought a compass and had the dealer install the hookless map pocket in the same location as yours in your pics. I had some binding on the rudder up/down cable due to him moving the foam blocks for the square hatch install so i temporarily took them out and was feeling around to see where the cable runs. It runs directly over the sharp screws that mount the bottom of the pocket. I'm worried it will damage the cord over time and plan to replace the screws with machine screws and washers/nuts to present a smooth surface inside. Or maybe remove the screws and grind off the part that protrudes inside the hull and put back.
Just wondered if you ever felt inside yours in that area and had the same situation.
Craig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kidcurrie wrote:
Steve,
I just bought a compass and had the dealer install the hookless map pocket in the same location as yours in your pics. I had some binding on the rudder up/down cable due to him moving the foam blocks for the square hatch install so i temporarily took them out and was feeling around to see where the cable runs. It runs directly over the sharp screws that mount the bottom of the pocket. I'm worried it will damage the cord over time and plan to replace the screws with machine screws and washers/nuts to present a smooth surface inside. Or maybe remove the screws and grind off the part that protrudes inside the hull and put back.
Just wondered if you ever felt inside yours in that area and had the same situation.
Craig

Craig,

That's a common issue in that area that others have pointed out as well. I backed my screws out and cut off the sharp points of the screw to where they just penetrate the side wall inside and hold securely. The foam blocks tend to get in the way of the rudder line/bungee cord if they shift to the outside. If you install the rectangular hatch the foam pads will definitely be more to the outside of the hull. Just make sure the foam pads on the rudder cord side don't shift on you. I check mine before each trip. Tight lines! :wink:

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Very nice rig! How do you like the seat compared to the PA seat? Have you tried standing yet?
I have a 2017 PA 12 and like it except for the weight. Its overkill for where I fish and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Compass.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LoneWolf wrote:
Very nice rig! How do you like the seat compared to the PA seat? Have you tried standing yet?
I have a 2017 PA 12 and like it except for the weight. Its overkill for where I fish and I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Compass.

I don't believe any of the other Vantage style seats can compete with the seat on the PA, but it's a bigger ride and the other seats would seem small mounted in it. Personally I had to add a seat cushion to sit on as my skinny rear end would end up on the rear seat frame. Others love the seat just the way it is. It all depends on the size of your posterior I guess...lol!

You can stand in it just as easy as an Outback. Not quite PA stability, but it is still very doable. I help a buddy of mine load/unload his PA12 when we fish together. It's amazing the weight difference. I still love my PA14 as it is used for fishing scenarios where I need to carry more gear and targeting larger fish (i.e. tarpon). The only thing I miss using the Compass is the skeg of the PA. That skeg helps keep your stern from being blown around by the wind. Probably up to around 140 nautical miles on my Compass since purchasing it last fall. It's my first choice for my weekly trips to the Gulf and ideal for skinny water low tide fishing as it's very easy to paddle when the drive can't be used.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the response. I’m going to do a demo soon but your comments confirm my thoughts so far. I mainly fish small lakes and back bay areas. I don’t go out front usually. I really don’t use many of the PA features so other than the seat I don’t think I will be missing much. I usually carry one fly rod and 3 other rods. All my tackle is confined to one bag. That’s pretty much it. I load my PA12 on my truck so it’s not too difficult but weight is weight. I really don’t even stand that much but that’s because the seat is so comfortable. So it sounds like the seat is going to be the big issue for me. I’m hoping they come out with a camo version too!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LoneWolf wrote:
Thanks for the response. I’m going to do a demo soon but your comments confirm my thoughts so far. I mainly fish small lakes and back bay areas. I don’t go out front usually. I really don’t use many of the PA features so other than the seat I don’t think I will be missing much. I usually carry one fly rod and 3 other rods. All my tackle is confined to one bag. That’s pretty much it. I load my PA12 on my truck so it’s not too difficult but weight is weight. I really don’t even stand that much but that’s because the seat is so comfortable. So it sounds like the seat is going to be the big issue for me. I’m hoping they come out with a camo version too!

I normally carry 4 rods and they are all on 4 rod holders on my Blackpak behind the seat. The Blackpak has a small Magellan cooler with 4-5 bottles of water. I also keep a couple of hand towels, bug spray, snacks and 1 plastic tackle box with all my hard lures in it. The rectangular hatch in the floor has my bags of soft plastics, jigheads, hooks, spools of leader, scissors, etc.. So not a lot of tackle carried. The only items I don't have in the Compass when I slide it out of the truck for unloading with the HD cart are the rods, MD180 and the Blackpak. I just roll it down to the launch area, unhook the retainer on the cart and lift the stern up and swing it around to clear the cart. Then I load the Blackpak, add the rods and clip the MD180 to the lanyard...I am good.

Spent 10 hours in the Compass and never got sore. It's a little lower in the water, so angled waves might splash you a little more than the PA, but it does well even in white caps. I cured my seat comfort by taking one of those square marine throw cushions with the straps on them. I remove one of the 2 layers of foam cushion and it's now more like a comfy stadium cushion. Works perfectly! :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next