Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Compass Setup
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow....what a sweet looking Compass.

What color Seadek to you choose? What do you recommend for slate blue? Let me know at your convenience.

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gary J Domain wrote:

What color Seadek to you choose? What do you recommend for slate blue? Let me know at your convenience.

Thanks

Gary,

The Seadek is Olive Green with a Starburst Yellow trim. The Starburts Yellow is close to the Seagrass color. if I had a Slate Blue Compass I would use a medium gray and either a black trim or a color the same as the Slate Blue for trim if SeaDek had a matching or close color. Order a sample kit. They are free and come with every color you can get SeaDek in.

Glad you like the setup. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
ttommy wrote:
Are the H rail secure enough to lift the Compass with the rails?

Mine are. :wink:
Can you elaborate? I am looking at installing rails in the same locations. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jasone510 wrote:
SRAces wrote:
ttommy wrote:
Are the H rail secure enough to lift the Compass with the rails?

Mine are. :wink:
Can you elaborate? I am looking at installing rails in the same locations. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have no issue lifting my Compass using the H-Rails as long as the Compass is not loaded down. Same with my PA14.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
Gary J Domain wrote:

Thanks

Gary,

The Seadek is Olive Green with a Starburst Yellow trim. The Starburts Yellow is close to the Seagrass color. if I had a Slate Blue Compass I would use a medium gray and either a black trim or a color the same as the Slate Blue for trim if SeaDek had a matching or close color. Order a sample kit. They are free and come with every color you can get SeaDek in.

Glad you like the setup. :wink:

Thank you Steve, I appreciate the information.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

SRAces wrote:
LoneWolf wrote:
Thanks for the response. I’m going to do a demo soon but your comments confirm my thoughts so far. I mainly fish small lakes and back bay areas. I don’t go out front usually. I really don’t use many of the PA features so other than the seat I don’t think I will be missing much. I usually carry one fly rod and 3 other rods. All my tackle is confined to one bag. That’s pretty much it. I load my PA12 on my truck so it’s not too difficult but weight is weight. I really don’t even stand that much but that’s because the seat is so comfortable. So it sounds like the seat is going to be the big issue for me. I’m hoping they come out with a camo version too!

I normally carry 4 rods and they are all on 4 rod holders on my Blackpak behind the seat. The Blackpak has a small Magellan cooler with 4-5 bottles of water. I also keep a couple of hand towels, bug spray, snacks and 1 plastic tackle box with all my hard lures in it. The rectangular hatch in the floor has my bags of soft plastics, jigheads, hooks, spools of leader, scissors, etc.. So not a lot of tackle carried. The only items I don't have in the Compass when I slide it out of the truck for unloading with the HD cart are the rods, MD180 and the Blackpak. I just roll it down to the launch area, unhook the retainer on the cart and lift the stern up and swing it around to clear the cart. Then I load the Blackpak, add the rods and clip the MD180 to the lanyard...I am good.

Spent 10 hours in the Compass and never got sore. It's a little lower in the water, so angled waves might splash you a little more than the PA, but it does well even in white caps. I cured my seat comfort by taking one of those square marine throw cushions with the straps on them. I remove one of the 2 layers of foam cushion and it's now more like a comfy stadium cushion. Works perfectly! :wink:

Hi Steve

What company sells the white blackpak? Where did you get the clips to hold the hog trough? Thanks again for the SeaDek info. Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gary J Domain wrote:
Hi Steve

What company sells the white blackpak? Where did you get the clips to hold the hog trough? Thanks again for the SeaDek info. Cheers

Gary,

Do a Google search for "Blackpak White" and you will find some. They are made by YakAttack. YakAttack discontinued the white color for a little while. Looks like they brought it back with black rod tubes and the top corners molded in black. The Hawg Trough holders can be found on YakAttack's website and a few others.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Steve

Thank you again....You The Man. LOL

Regards

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Steve

Would it be possible to ask you various questions outside of this format? Its easy to understand you have a wealth of info on Hobie kayaks and fishing. Is it possible to communicate by personal email or phone? Please let me know at your convenience. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your family, and the Hopie group..

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice setup. May I ask what material did you add to your net handle for clapping to the track mounts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steelernation wrote:
Nice setup. May I ask what material did you add to your net handle for clapping to the track mounts?

I just wrapped black Gorilla tape around the net handle in the right spots to get the thickness needed for the net to lock into the YakAttack Roto-Grips.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Getting ready to pull trigger on a Compass. Really like the H-Rail positioning you did. Question on securing rail in back screw mount were you able to reach back through hatch to use nut on bolt to secure it (Looks too far back to reach) or did you secure w/ bolt and epoxy in place to secure?? Thx NHG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NHG wrote:
Getting ready to pull trigger on a Compass. Really like the H-Rail positioning you did. Question on securing rail in back screw mount were you able to reach back through hatch to use nut on bolt to secure it (Looks too far back to reach) or did you secure w/ bolt and epoxy in place to secure?? Thx NHG

Used 1/4 inch Toggle Straps. You can find them at Home Depot or Lowes. Basically you drill a 1/2 inch hole where you mark the rear hole for the H-Rail. Insert the toggle strap which has a long metal retainer (with a threaded 1/4 inch hole in the middle. Adjust the nylon straps to be even and pull the straps up to lock the retainer against the hull inside. Clip off the excess straps. When screwing the 1/4 inch bolt down, you will have to pull up on the rail slightly to hold pressure so the bolt will tighten down. Easy install that way and it will snug down against the hull tight.

I just drilled regular holes on the front ends and tightened those down by reaching through the hatch. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Awesome. Thx!!!

Watched YT easy install. Question on the rudder cord will you need to be mindful of not hitting them when drilling and inserting toggle and tightening it against inside of hull or not in way??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NHG wrote:
Awesome. Thx!!!

Watched YT easy install. Question on the rudder cord will you need to be mindful of not hitting them when drilling and inserting toggle and tightening it against inside of hull or not in way??

The rudder cord is not a factor at all.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next