Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Compass Setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought I would share a few pictures of my Compass setup here on the Compass forum. I took these pictures for SeaDek to use. The pictures do not have the Mirage Drive, drive leash, my camera pole/camera (mounts on the Blackpak) and my seat cushion I use on the seat. Love the Compass! I carry a small Magellan soft cooler with 4-6 bottles of water and snacks, as well as, one small plano box with about 10 hard lures in the Blackpak behind the seat. The rectangular hatch has the rectangular bucket. In the rectangular bucket I carry first aid kit, glasses, soft plastics, 2 spools of leader, gloves, buff, jig heads and a few other items.

This was the setup I fished Saturday with. Caught 2 reds and 45 trout in the Gulf. :wink:

I included a picture at the bottom with nothing installed showing the area under the seat.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

Post subject: Re: My Compass Setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

nice setup. I know you have a pro angler. Did you design your setup such that you can transfer the micro power pole between two kayaks? Do you know where i can buy just the mount?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nap wrote:
nice setup. I know you have a pro angler. Did you design your setup such that you can transfer the micro power pole between two kayaks? Do you know where i can buy just the mount?

nap - You are correct. I just purchased the Hobie mounting plate from my Hobie dealer. The black Power-Pole mount can be purchase directly from the Power-Pole folks online. if I remember correctly, it runs about $40. So you'l spend around $115 for both pieces, but that's cheaper than buying a second Power-Pole Micro Anchor. Since I use the battery pack it's an easy swap. Eventually I would like to get a second Micro Anchor. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRAces wrote:
nap wrote:

nap - You are correct. I just purchased the Hobie mounting plate from my Hobie dealer. The black Power-Pole mount can be purchase directly from the Power-Pole folks online. if I remember correctly, it runs about $40. So you'l spend around $115 for both pieces, but that's cheaper than buying a second Power-Pole Micro Anchor. Since I use the battery pack it's an easy swap. Eventually I would like to get a second Micro Anchor. :wink:

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree that it looks great! That color is growing on me. Couple questions:

I can't tell from the picture angles but does the h-rail interfere with accessing the rudder control at all?

And with the rodholders mounted like that - can you still carry the scupper cart while on the water?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kidcurrie wrote:
I agree that it looks great! That color is growing on me. Couple questions:

I can't tell from the picture angles but does the h-rail interfere with accessing the rudder control at all?

And with the rodholders mounted like that - can you still carry the scupper cart while on the water?

Here's a shot from the left side. The H-Rail in now way interferes with using the rudder control. In fact it offers a nice rest for your hand/wrist area. I don't carry the cart on the water with me. If you are referring to using the scuppers to store the cart while on the water and whether the H-Rails interfere, I would have to check and respond back to the thread. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, easy to see from that angle. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great pic Steve! Question: Do the H-Rails interfere with ones ability to sit sidesaddle? Am still considering H-Rails, and would love to throw my legs over the side from time to time, but can't tell from the pic how high the H-Rails are in relation to the sides of the seat. Any clarification wold be appreciated. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Steve I looked at seadecks site and don't see the compass mat available.
Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Drifting Yak wrote:
Great pic Steve! Question: Do the H-Rails interfere with ones ability to sit sidesaddle? Am still considering H-Rails, and would love to throw my legs over the side from time to time, but can't tell from the pic how high the H-Rails are in relation to the sides of the seat. Any clarification wold be appreciated. Thanks!

The H-Rails do not interfere with swinging your legs to the side. The height of the rails aren't far off the seat bottom height. I get in the Compass like I did in my 2012 PA14. Just stand beside it and sit down on the seat and swing my legs around and in. :wink:

I mounted my rod holders where they are as the rod butts do not interfere with the seat where they are located I can troll from both sides at the same time if needed. I use the rod holder to hold the rod when I bring a fish in the yak versus lay the rod down somewhere. Just flip the bail and put it in the holder. No tight line to deal with. Where they are also frees up the area needed for paddling and not hitting anything with the paddle. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fiddlefadel wrote:
Steve I looked at seadecks site and don't see the compass mat available.
Thanks
Dave

You probably won't see the Compass kits online with SeaDek until the end of the month. They will offer a version online for the stock setup from the factory (i.e. circular hatch in front of the seat and no hatch up front). To get one like mine would require you to contact SeaDek regarding a custom kit. They will sell mine (minus the Hobie "H" logo unless you have written permission from Hobie to use the logo. So basically they would send you the mylar dryfit template from my kit so you can draw any adjustment lines so it matches your rectangular hatch installation. The rest of the kit would not require any adjustments since the rectangular hatch installation is really the only area that could vary by individual installs. :wink:

No idea as to the price of a kit.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice set up. Little jealous here. Dumb question, what is that cup holder insert? I own a Revo 13 and the cup holder is pretty much useless except for misc. lures.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joetrain wrote:
Nice set up. Little jealous here. Dumb question, what is that cup holder insert? I own a Revo 13 and the cup holder is pretty much useless except for misc. lures.
~JOE~

Joe,

It's one of those cheap plastic cup holders that has the clip arm on the top. I cut the top "hanger" part off and used 3M Command Strips (velcro picture holder strips) to secure it in that cup well. No drilling required.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brilliant. That explains why I didn’t think of it.
~JOE~