Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This weekend Heroes on the Water-SETX chapter took a bunch of Veterans on a fun trip. I was lucky enough to be included and took my Hobie Compass along for the ride. We loaded up our kayaks at 8am onto a fleet of airboats and about twenty of us got mothershipped into a huge private marsh in south east Texas. Weather was not cooperating with us though and we called the fishing off at around noon and headed back to camp, but that left us plenty of time to hang out at the hunting lodge and eat some delicious food and get to know each other since for many of the attendees it was their first event. We talked fishing, kayaks, where we have been stationed and where we were deployed, and everything in between.

Fishing was pretty slow out on the water due to wind blowing like mad. We still had a few people get on some fish and everyone else just had fun paddling around enjoying the time on the water. I didn't fish too much since I was one of the few that is experienced at kayak fishing so I spent most of my time cruising around on my compass helping people out, tying knots, and just giving them tips. I even got to tow a couple people across an area that was windblown and they were struggling to make it across. The Compass took it all in stride.

I did manage to somehow catch a pair of alligators, after dealing with the first one, I got a second one not even five minutes later. Not what I was trying to catch but it did liven things up a bit and was exciting for the other people there to see and laugh at my misfortune, lol. Thankfully they were both small and they were released to go on about their business.

Overall the trip was a success and everyone had a great time. I look forward to taking my Compass on many more adventures in the coming years. I fish almost daily and do many tournaments and fishing events throughout the year and the Compass has been a wonderful addition to my fishing arsenal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

YFT, welcome to the forum! That sounds like a great program and a good time. Thanks for sharing and the nice pics. 8)