Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum.

I just bought a hobie compass and I wanted to install an AMA sidekick on it so it would be more stable when going offshore fishing. I watched several videos on how to install the sidekicks, and it seemed simple, but most of the videos were installation on the outback. The outback have a nice flat area behind the seat to install the bar, but on the compass that area is not flat. I sent an email to HobieCat for a recommended location and they didn’t know but they highly suggested I asked other Compass owners for their thoughts.

My original idea was to install it in the back storage area near the last padeye since that area is flat and I can always add extra bungee cord to secure the middle sidekick bar if needed. Plus installing it back there would not interfere with removing and using the paddle.

Can you guys let me know if that would be a good location or if you have other options you would like to share.

I chatted with Mariners Sail and they suggested creating a wedge to install behind the seat but as much as possible I want to avoid gluing or nailing a wedge on a new kayak unless it was a last option. :D

Thank you guys in advance. Also looking forward to hearing other compass owners stories and adventures.

Sfocyf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:20 am 
Site Admin

I had not heard of anything on this yet. Either a wedge or maybe file the crossbar fitting to a taper to fit the deck slope? The wedge can be like a washer... pinned between the crossbar fitting and the hull and held by the well nuts screw? May need longer screws.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would bend the crossbar some in the middle (conduit bender) since you only use 4 or 5 inches at the ends. It`s nice to have it within reach. I`m a big fan of the sidekick. https://imgur.com/nDbc20J (revo 11) Mabey a little bend and a little file? The best solution would be to use a wedge-washer that has the same foot print as the crossbar fitting. Hobie could include this in the sidekick kit for the Compass kayak. :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you guys for the tips, will try to create a washer wedge or bend the middle bar slightly to make it fit.

Oldyaker, I like how you set up your sidekick.... genius.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone found a solution to this? Wondering if adding a wedge or bending the bar would void warranty.. would that be considered improper use/ installation?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, could you please contact Hobie engineers and have them come up with a solution? It appears the sidekicks are supposed to fit all Hobie kayaks by this I mean that I have not found a disclaimer as to which models the sidekicks will not fit. I was just getting ready to buy the sidekicks for my Compass until I read this post. Thanks.....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I added the Sidekick to my 2019 Compass and the install was successful with this modification. I used a 3/4" square piece of Trex cut to the same length as the mounting bracket provided with the Sidekick. I cut a 7 degree angle on the piece to account for the slope of the kayak deck. Then drill holes in the pieces to match the holes in the mounting brackets. Use 3" stainless steel 10-32 oval head bolts (in lieu of the provided 2" bolts) and you are good to go. The 3/4" lift also is important so you can access the hole in the sidekick bracket which is used for the lowest position of the pontoons. Without this lift, the hole in the bottom of the tube which receives the button when the L and R pontoon arms are in the lowest position is against the kayak deck and hence not useable.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any pics?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

not sure how to add pics to this post. will post if you tell me how to do that . i can send pics to email address if u share address

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll get some pics later, but I mounted the ama's behind the seat and I mounted some tracks in the areas just behind it around the back storage area for a motor mount.

I installed the amas with well nuts and there is enough play that the levelness did not seem critical for me. Although it is pretty tough for me to get my fingers underneath to force the click button up to release the ama, although a car key or knife blade slides in easily enough and gives me enough prying pressure.

For the tracks, there definately is a 'bevel' that would preclude 'flatness'. Since the primary usage for that was for a motor, I wanted to have rubber underneath the track to absorb some of the vibration. A buddy gave me some strips of hard rubber that was about 1/8th thick and I doubled up the layer on 'half' of the track.

I've never posted pics on here so it may take a while, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There are pics here on where to install it.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ry#p318093