Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling Compass
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, wondering how well the Compass paddles (Matt or Roadrunner?). Specifically, not necessarily speed or efficiency, just how is the motion of reaching forward and grabbing the water and pulling back. I'm concerned the extra width might make the paddling stroke uncomfortable. Does the wider seat interfere with the arm motion?

I'm looking to get a couple new Hobie's for the upper body exercise. I realize the Revo's would be better for this, and used to pedal/paddle a Revo 16. However, a few reasons why I don't just go Revo.

1. Main reason is the compass is more multipurpose and I will be pedaling and fishing from both.

2. I prefer the sealed bow of the Compass. My first Hobie yak was a sport with a round sealed hatch in the front. Wish they all still came this way. The gaping front hatch with only a bungee holding it is a recipe for disaster in breaking waves. I do like very much the design of the Revo 16 and AI front hatch (though I duct taped it shut when in rough breakers). I realize the Revo 13's front hatch is shaped like it is to fit in the drive unit, but I always lash mine to the back bungee anyway.

3. I don't care for the higher center of gravity and lower stability of the newer Revo 13 with Vantage seat. Yes, I know it supposedly is the same in the lowest position, but not for me, and I guess I'm old fashion and like the older seat with the wet backside.

Not trying to dis' Hobie here, as I am a long time Hobie fanboi. Just explaining why I am asking how the Compass paddles when the Revo series would paddle better.

Post subject: Re: Paddling Compass
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I paddle my Compass all the time and love how easy it is to paddle. I fish skinny inshore Gulf water and love to explore creeks at low tide looking for holes with fish in them. No issue for me with water over the bow. :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you, SRAces! Just to confirm, the side seat strap does not rub your inner arm when paddling? If I had the ability to just try one, I would, but I've always had to order my Hobie's blind and hope it worked out (which it always has).

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

New2Yak wrote:
Thank you, SRAces! Just to confirm, the side seat strap does not rub your inner arm when paddling? If I had the ability to just try one, I would, but I've always had to order my Hobie's blind and hope it worked out (which it always has).

Zero issues for me in regards to the seat affecting paddling. I keep my rod holders on H-Rails just behind the back corners of the seat. That allows me to drop the rod in a holder when I have landed a fish to secure the rod/reel. I open the bail and drop the rod in the holder. The loose line gives me plenty of flexibility while unhooking the fish. Since I have the rod holders where they are...they do not interfere with paddle strokes at all. The only item sticking up forward is the fishfinder/GPS on the right side, but it is mounted far enough on the H-Track to be out of the way.

I came up with a different solution for a paddle than the stock one. I can grab the paddle or slap in back on the dual RotoGrips holder with one hand. Simple and effective. Just look at the pictures I posted on my Compass setup in the forum.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks again! I'll have a look at your rigging photos.