Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I always take my kayaks on the back of my cars. Note pictures below.

However, I can’t repeat this operation with the Hobie Compass, because the rudder can be damaged during loading. Does anyone has a solution for this issue?

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What if you turned the hull around 180° and loaded the stern first??

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
What if you turned the hull around 180° and loaded the stern first??

The kayak has accessories installed on the edges and inside of the kayak that prevent loading and transport in such a position, besides not having the ease provided by the transport cart.

Thanks for your answer

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How bout placing the stern on a pillow.
We had several TI’s that we car topped for many years.
Yes when we tilt the boat up to put on the roof it sits on the rudder, we normally placed an old thick door entry rug under the stern, probably loaded our TI’s 500 times with no issues.
However there is a trick to it.
What we do is place the rug on the ground in the final position it will end up when the boat is tilted with the bow on the car. Once you know where that is pace it out so you can alway repeat next time, (ie.. 3 steps, 4steps, etc).
Now place the stern of the boat on the rug, with the bow along side of the car, (boat at a angle).
Then walk up to the bow and lift the bow over your head, (the boat literally balances on my head), I walk in hand over hand to get the bow higher than the vehicle, and I have a clear way to walk the bow over to the center of the truck or suv.
Set the bow on the rear of the car, on our earlier vehicles we placed the bow in a rug that was laying on the roof.
Now with the boat stable walk to the back of the boat and stradle the back of the boat. I then lift the back of the boat straight up, without allowing it to slide backwards. Once up you simply slide forward. You are never lifting more than half the weight of the boat, (with the TI thats a little over 50 lbs).
I typically do it all myself, but if I do have a helper I have them hold the stern down and in position so it doesn’t slide around, then once tilted up I have the come up to the bow to keep it centered while I’m lifting the back.
We have had tons of different kayaks, to be honest the easiest to load is the TI, because it’s much longer, (way less angle, (our TI’s were a little over 20 ft long)).
I’m not a big guy 5’6” 230 lbs, and retired (older than dirt lol).
Doing it all this way there is no dragging involved, ( the dragging in gravel and on concrete is what tears everything up).
Yea when tilted up the boat is sitting on the rudder and trying to tilt the boat, just let it tilt. The rudders are pretty darn strong, it won’t break, I’ve been loading many different types of hobies over the last ten years or so with no issues, lol if I had to guess were talking 1500 plus lifts, (it adds up fast when your loading 3 kayaks on the roof pretty much every weekend year round, ( yep in swfl and the keys we go out year round).
We tried many different kayak racks, we liked the reciever mounted T-bars the best. Even if your suv didn’t come with a hitch reciever from the factory, after market hitch reciever kits are only like a hundred bucks or so, and easily installed yourself with just common tools in about an hour.
We travel a lot and have around 1/4million road miles with kayaks on the roof and camper in tow. I lost track of how many accidents we have passed where the kayaks were ripped off the roof, (especially in Florida). We now always attach bow and stern lines to the kayaks, (just sayin)

Hope this helps
FE
Note: I don’t know much about the compass, I was describing normal T&S rudders on most other models, and the TI rudder. If the compass rudder is different, never mind, ignore everything I said.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

How about turning your two rudder attachment points into quick disconnects. Replace the nut with a wing-nut you can spin off by hand and a shackle and snap hook for the retract line. Would take about 30 seconds to remove or install. The suggested hardware is by way of illustration only -- you can do better with a little research and experimentation. 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Fusioneng.
Thanks for your instructions.
I do like my Rhino T loader and I tried putting an old dog bed under the end of kayak to avoid the rudder bending problems the positioning was really not easy. Loading it at angle makes so much sense and will try next time.
My rudder definitely has some scratches from loading on gravel and concrete.

And agreed with making sure kayak doesn’t come off. Nightmare scenario to cause severe accident by loosing a kayak on freeway. I always worry driving behind amateur pickup truck loads and also kayaks. I always add extra straps through scupper holes to make sure it gets pulled to side and cannot slip through the straps you are always told not to tighten too much.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all the friends who are trying to help.

Here are more explicit pictures of the issue.

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My suv has a spoiler on the back to boot,
I think that I am going to try to load it by flipping it first, and then loading it perpendicular to the suv as other poster suggested, as the back is flatter and squarer so it doesn't have to be tippy on the nose. Let me know if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you fixed this problem yet?

I've been using a rolled up sleeping bag slightly ahead of the rudder but it still scrapes a bit.

How much are Compass replacement rudders?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

benqueso wrote:
Have you fixed this problem yet?

I've been using a rolled up sleeping bag slightly ahead of the rudder but it still scrapes a bit.

How much are Compass replacement rudders?

The rudder is incredible strong and you wont break it doing it this way, its designed to be this way! I've dropped mine and its landed on the rudder and its fine, bent a little bit but flexes back out again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The edges of the rudder are scraped pretty bad just from 2 loading times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spent much of a day wrestling with same problem. I had always just put a bathtmat on back window/roof of my Durango and stood my kayaks on the stern and slid/pushed them up. After trying a number of things I decided to turn my Compass over and cartop it upside down. Has worked the few times I've tried it. But I'm not completely thrilled with the way it rides on my Thule Glide&Set racks. I may just take the racks off and put split pool noodles on the crossbars and go without racks.
I'm also less than excited about the usefulness of the handles for loading, so I ordered a pair of handles to install on the outside sides.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use a kart tyre...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How about using a 8 inch diameter Hi Density Foam Roller placed under the keel/rudder protector? Do you think there would be enough clearance to keep the rudder from scraping as you lift the nose?

I was thinking that a slice in the foam tube where the rudder can fit might protect the rudder while you were lifting ... ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wheel it out to the truck then I flip it over and load it bottom up on my truck rack.. the rails are very flat and it not only loads easily but rides well too..

My ladder rack has a roller on the back, so even though it is pretty high, it works.