Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good idea!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2018 compass that has only been out on the water a few times. The last week I had a neighbor who was looking into buying a Kayak go out fishing with me on the Compass. He constantly complained that the hook was coming off the seat sending him reclining consistently. Not a good test drive for a Kayak. Is there a fix for this problem?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:10 am 
Site Admin

That is an odd one. The hooks have "gated" stainless spring closures... they should not just fall off the eye.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi ... I have a new Compass that I used for the 1st time yesterday. It is a 2018 Demo (floor model) I picked up over the winter. I broke the eye holding the left seat strap. Can I bring this to my closest Hobie dealer instead of the one I purchased? Purchased in CT but live in RI. Can these eyes be replaced by the owner or does a dealer have to do it?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HOBIEKONOBIE wrote:
I have a 2018 compass that has only been out on the water a few times. The last week I had a neighbor who was looking into buying a Kayak go out fishing with me on the Compass. He constantly complained that the hook was coming off the seat sending him reclining consistently. Not a good test drive for a Kayak. Is there a fix for this problem?

Sounds like he had the side straps attached to the seat bottom frame and not the hull - that's a common error that people can make...

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

the closure pen on the plastic hook doesn’t close due to the thickness of the loop it connects to

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jbernier wrote:
HOBIEKONOBIE wrote:

Sounds like he had the side straps attached to the seat bottom frame and not the hull - that's a common error that people can make...

No ... it was the eye on the hull next to the seat ... I initially tried the seat bottom but realized that was wrong

[img]20190524_165919[3]%20copy[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Apols, but I'm still having a bit of a hard time visualizing how the clip is supposed to properly connect to the padeye? Do you have a picture of proper attachment.

I've had my camo compass almost a year with no problems until last trip out -- padeye just pulled out of the hull and threw me back. I paddled back to launch and put a new padeye in. Seems to be holding but it's left me worried.

I've adjusted by pulling seat back forward a little (so I'm not leaning back into as much) and I've placed a foam rescue float directly behind my seat and up against my carry cart in the scupper holes -- if it were to pull out, i wouldn't be able to tumble back and out of the boat.

M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

This was caused by an incomplete or missing tap job. Your dealer can get the tool for our warranty guys to rework the threads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks it was a error of ours we had the seat hooked incorrectly. However I’m not sure if the instructions in the manual were of any help. I did get your feedback and it is back on correctly. Thanks :D