Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:21 am 
Site Admin

Possible the hook was not oriented correctly and twisted the eye to failure. I would replace the straps as well for a boat at that vintage. Your dealer can do that via warranty.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Picked up replacement eye at local dealer and will install next days.
In order to get replacement straps the dealer files a warranty claim or do they have these in stock?
Thanks for quick response as usual. Have been enjoying my trips in kayak I can actually lift into truck w/o worries of back problems.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am 
Site Admin

They likely do not have in stock, so get a claim in.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also, for the new Compass and Compass Duo we changed the strap connection geometry to further reduce the loads.[/quote]

Matt do you have a picture of this change, my dealer does not have a 2019 Compass yet.
Mine is a March build also.

Thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today, to prevent a personal on the water emergency, I pulled the two plugs that break that have the eyelets on them. I first, cut the existing molded in eyelets off. I drilled out a hole in them and installed a stainless threaded eyelet with a washer in the back. I screwed them back in and connected the seat straps with the d rings that I installed. It seems to be bullet proof but I won't know until I get back on the water. I saw this suggestion on the internet so it isn't my idea but seemed like a good option.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning..... Matt, what part number do I ask my dealer to file a claim on for my Compass hooks/straps? Thanks....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_ass ... JlzmhP.pdf

Seat Strap Assembly Right - 81701019
Seat Strap Assembly Left - 81701020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's my seat straps fix.Image

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

5 hours of peddling and strong wind and current today. The strap fix was a non issue. I forgot that I had done the mods till I was home and cleaning the Compass up. So far so good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well... the replacement eye installed was holding up for last weeks. But now the actual strap plastic broke as others reported.... as I had some seat cushions I could place behind backrest and the crate I was able to continue... but still hope to get this fixed in next days before next trip.
I sent a message to my dealer asking to file a warranty request.
As this happened on right side I am certain it will happen at some point also on left so hoping I get both sides replaced with proper material.
Will they be able to get the replacement for both sides? I am using my kayak almost every weekend, so a failure on left side will happen at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

superbike1 wrote:

fourth trip out and the eye broke. superbike1 you just unscrewed the whole thing and reused the plug after you replaced the eye with a stainless eye both? what size is the eyebolt? thanks for any help . if you have anymore pictures please post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

planner47 wrote:
superbike1 wrote:

fourth trip out and the eye broke. superbike1 you just unscrewed the whole thing and reused the plug after you replaced the eye with a stainless eye both? what size is the eyebolt? thanks for any help . if you have anymore pictures please post.
I'm not sure of the size but I ground off the excess Plastic from the broken eyelet and drilled a hole big enough to fit the stainless eyelet. I bought the hardware at Lowe's or home Depot. I put a washer on the backside with a self locking nut. I took the modified part to the store with me to make something fit before I bought it. In hindsight on my way, you could get a stainless pad eye and screw it into the hull or put a self locking nut through the hull and never have this problem again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks superbike1. going to lowes now. also went I took the plug out the threads on the hobie look really shallow! I just wonder if I should put some epoxy glue on them?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Supebike1 The fourth time out (Thursday) in my new compass the eye brakes on the seat eye that's threaded onto the kayak. going fishing Monday and my dealer has no replacement so the guys (sperbike1) on the hobie forum had some great upgrades. I just drilled out a 1/4" hole and brought a threated 1/4" eye. put a stainless fender washer on the outside and 5 1/4" regular washers on the inside to and strength and then filled the inside with epoxy. going to do the same thing to the other side. also going to take some parachute cord to use if the hook on the seat breaks. by the way the treads on the hole in the kayak seems pretty shallow and was very hard to start straight. THANKS SUPERBIKE1 would post pictures but can not figure out how to!

Last edited by planner47 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good on ya planner47. I got the idea from somewhere on the interweb so it's not my original idea. I did replace my d rings with oval stainless screw together ring.Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next