Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:28 am 
Site Admin

I don't have a photo handy at the moment, but logical... hook in alignment with the strap to eye. Capsized would happen when the seat back in pushed forward and the hook drops with the strap slack. When the seat is pushed back again. The hook could be facing forward and the strap doubled back over it.

I'' try to find a shot that shows properly loaded position.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mine the whole plug just pulled out of the side of the kayak when I was about 3 miles out. Had to paddle back in. Now folks are having multiple types of failures makes it uneasy about going any distance at this time. Love the kayak hope they get things worked out. I putting together a bag of spares before going back any distance again just in case. I did see where someone took a flat screw in plug like the one's currently in the side but it didn't have the look so they took a stainless steel eye and fastened it using lock nuts and then screwed that into the existing hole. No idea how it came out. But its interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
the whole plug just pulled out of the side of the kayak

This was an issue in first production due to a dull Tap. Ask your dealer to tap the hole and install new eyes. They can get the tool from our warranty department.

New hooks are here. We have to rework the straps, so not yet something we have to send out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt.... My dealer is a 2.5 hour drive from the house. Please sent the straps and new hooks to the dealers who then can mail them to the Compass owners….. as mentioned in other post ...dealer has our information or have Hobie mail them to us - they also have our information. Request Hobie to step up..... and help.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:09 am 
Site Admin

I process. Straps need to be built first. We will announce a program to make the new hook version straps available soon.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
the whole plug just pulled out of the side of the kayak

This was an issue in first production due to a dull Tap. Ask your dealer to tap the hole and install new eyes. They can get the tool from our warranty department.

New hooks are here. We have to rework the straps, so not yet something we have to send out.

Yep it was kind of interesting when I took it in for repair they had no clue what I was talking about retapping the hole or any issues with the plugs pulling out. Upon inspection it actually looked like the eye itself was bad all of the sides of the eye plug looked like they had just failed. Put in new Eye plug and it held up well the next trip out but I gotta say I was still very uneasy the whole time and I refused to go out any kind of distance as I had no spares. But I did stay out all day with no issues. So plans now are that I at least keep some spare eyes and straps in the yak just in case I have to make a repair out of on the water.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So disappointed.. brand new Compass - my first Hobie - I took it out for 30 minutes Friday evening for a quick try-out and then took it back out Sunday lunch time. Within a minute of being in the water the left strap hook broke just like every single picture already posted.

Your answer says to ask my dealer.. as my dealer is ACK and was delivered via truck, how the heck do I ask them. This is a terrible first impression of Hobie. I've noticed that everyone charges the same shipping charge and price, which makes me think that these kayaks are actually shipped straight from Hobie to end users and all the other companies are just resellers. Why can't Hobie send me the replacement strap? This is your poor quality control from a pre-production to post-sales problem and you should be making this right directly.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for the broken part. We do not ship direct and we do not service direct. We have a dealer network and they handle any warranty claims and service after the sale. Simply contact ACK and file a claim. We can get them shipped as soon as tomorrow if you get the claim in.

Fyi, I know you already purchased, but others reading a post like this can possibly avoid this sort of hassle. From our Find a Dealer link:

Quote:
Why Buy Local?
by Hobie Cat Company

Hobie strongly recommends that you purchase your Hobie products through your local dealer whenever possible. Due to the unique design aspects and features of our products, your specialty retailer will provide the hands-on service and product assembly to ensure you receive the ultimate satisfaction from your Hobie. It is important to be aware that our warranty policy states that any warranty service must be performed by the dealer from whom the boat was purchased, unless the buyer has moved, or is traveling when the warranty service is required.

Enjoy your new Hobie, and be assured that Hobie Quality and Value is first and foremost in our minds from the moment we design a product, through its construction and ultimately extends to our selection of dealers to service the sale. We very much appreciate your business.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Has this issue been worked out for the new compass duo models? I'm strongly considering one but don't want to have to deal with a broken strap down the road. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:27 am 
Site Admin

Fixed. We changed the material of the plastic hooks. These new hooks have been shipping since early August.

Also, for the new Compass and Compass Duo we changed the strap connection geometry to further reduce the loads.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt, When will my dealer that is 2.5 hours away call me and let me know they are shipping the new hooks and straps to me?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

Email or call them to request a set. They can file a claim and get them shipped direct to you.

There is no preship replacement program for these. The hooks are not "defective", but can be overloaded by some users due to increased recline of the seat, weight and load factors.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply..... will call them in the morning. Is it a set or four separate pieces?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used Compass from my local dealer yesterday and one of the hooks was broken. They had replaced with a d-ring and rep said if the other broke, that they would replace it with a d-ring. I paid $800 with Jackson kayak trade in, and the compass came with a md360 turbo set of Arc fins and a new carbon accent paddle. Win win on my part. I replaced the existing hook with a d ring right away. No need to wait for it to break.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my Compass in March this year... can I expect the same strap problems?
I have a dozen plus trips on the Kayak and the straps were fine, but today one of the pad eyes just broke so that the strap cannot be attached anymore... the pastic just broke. Will call kayakcity tomorrow hoping they have replacements in stock and can do the repair. At least I only have 15 mins drive.
Should the straps be replaced?
These things always break and worst time such as just before longer kayak fishing event. Murphys law.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next