Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I’m new to the forum and am looking at getting a Compass. Attended a demo and was sold. Outback a close second. I like the lighter weight of the Compass. For those owners out there, how hard is it to car top. I have a Ford Explorer and will be doing it by myself. I’ve looked at some of the T rack loaders which seem to work well...at least it appears that way. I’m not sure if I should just get a trailer, but then again there is more cost and upkeep, etc. I want to pack and go and just aren’t convinced about cartopping. Also if I car top do I need the bow and stern lines if I use a solid carrier and put lines through the scupper holes? Any advice on trailer vs car topping is appreciated.

I also want to upgrade to the 180 drive and maybe put in a square hatch and map pocket. A lot of people just say go with the Outback then....but then the weight issue comes up.

Also, I realize that the 2019 models should be coming out in September and am struggling if I should just wait....not sure, from previous years history, how long after the announcement you can get one purchased. I certainly don’t want to wait until Mid October or November and lose my fall fishing opportunities. But then again, I’m curious to see if they come out with camo, put in the 180 drive, add map pockets, etc.

This forum has taught me a lot already and I’m excited to hopefully soon be an owner.

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I personally find I use my hobies more when they are trailered. Always ready to go just tighten the straps and connect the trailer.

I will guess if you go the fishing route your will end up with a PA. I started with a Outfitter then next season got a PA 17t. The PA’s are so much more comfortable for fishing. ( caveat freshwater lake fishing for ocean fishing the TI rules!!!)

But then we moved from Omaha to VA and it was time for a sailboat so we got the TI.

So I didn’t really answer any of your questions but welcome and don’t forget the rule with pretty much any boat/kayak you will always wish you got the bigger one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your reply. I’ll be fishing mostly reservoirs , small lakes, and rivers. I really liked the PA but the price and weight pushed me away. With a trailer, the weight issue isn’t as big a deal.....but then the price :shock:

I did the constant upgrade with bigger cruising boats awhile back, I guess it will be the same with kayaks.

I have heard some folks say just get a trailer and be done with it. Not sure how much maintenance a trailer needs over the years....and having a trailer could be hard to pull into some smaller access locations. I do like that I could just leave my kayak on it and always be ready to go. Will a small kayak trailer fit in a garage?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trailers maintenance is super easy at the end of the season i repack bearings and rotated tires. Like a 30 min job. Just unplug lights before you submerge and all is good.

Also get a trailex (find them used on c-list) they are super light and can be used as a launching cart.

Only way I would not get a trailer is if I lived in an apartment or didn’t have the space to store it. Heck I even use it for my 25lb paddle boards just easier than lifting stuff over my head.

Also since you are looking at a compass the 180 drive is not a deal breaker so I would look at used PAs you can find them all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah even big kayak trailers fit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great info. Thanks. I do have the space in the garage. So confusing but fun as I try to make a decision. Im going to check Craigslist for trailers now. Thanks for the photo!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jparr wrote:
Great info. Thanks. I do have the space in the garage. So confusing but fun as I try to make a decision. Im going to check Craigslist for trailers now. Thanks for the photo!

IMHO I don't understand the concept of having to trailer a kayak. A kayak is an entry level water craft that is suppose to get you past the hurdles of a regular boat. Personally if I can't put it on top of a car or truck the yak is too large. If I want something that large than I would rather step up to an actual aluminum boat as the price is more affordable and larger than the PA. Not everyone thinks the same way but I think today's yakkers tend to over complicate something that should be relatively easy. I over thought it, bought a Lure 13.5, then regretted the weight and size of the yak. After about $500 loss I am now waiting for Hobie's changes (crosses fingers) for the 2019 Compass. I think the Compass will be the fisherman's dream yak (once hobie slaps on a Vantage CT seat and a Mirage Arc drive 180). Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I truck topped this twice, decided enough of that nonsense and bought this custom trailer. It fits in a standard 10x20 single bay garage.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I do understand your thought process. I also thought car topping was the way to go, but then I hear people talk about the ease of a trailer without having to load each time out,...just leave the yaks on it and it is always ready to go. I will probably be going with the compass, and I know it is manageable weight wise. Although my wife occasionally will have another kayak, probably 11 ft. Paddle, also on the roof....if they both can fit. On the other side of the coin, I could just leave both kayaks on a trailer in the garage.

I also am excited to see what is coming for 2019. I guess a month isn’t too long to wait. I’m hoping that they announce September 1 you could get one ordered and maybe have mid-month? My other alternative is to just have somewhere like Delaware Paddle Sports make the upgrades for me. Although I do kinda want to see if they include camo this year

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

VegasB,
Now that is what worries me about a trailer.....yikes, that looks like a lot of work to handle driving. Thanks for the pic!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first and only trailer. It’s not hard to handle at all, super smooth. Plus this is the 19’ Tandem Island. A compass or similar on this type of trailer would even be easier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Makes me feel better. Thanks for the reassurance.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jparr wrote:
I do understand your thought process. I also thought car topping was the way to go, but then I hear people talk about the ease of a trailer without having to load each time out,...just leave the yaks on it and it is always ready to go. I will probably be going with the compass, and I know it is manageable weight wise. Although my wife occasionally will have another kayak, probably 11 ft. Paddle, also on the roof....if they both can fit. On the other side of the coin, I could just leave both kayaks on a trailer in the garage.

I also am excited to see what is coming for 2019. I guess a month isn’t too long to wait. I’m hoping that they announce September 1 you could get one ordered and maybe have mid-month? My other alternative is to just have somewhere like Delaware Paddle Sports make the upgrades for me. Although I do kinda want to see if they include camo this year

The places I take my yaks to I can't always trailer them and I have a 8' bed truck which can haul 4 13' kayaks without a problem. If you have the space and want to trailer great but for me towing my old trailers always made it a PITA. We should know at the Paddle Sports Retailer event coming up at the end of this month. I have a good feeling about this year's Compass ;). https://www.paddlesportsretailer.com/#home-1