Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multi use Boat
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking to purchase my first kayak. I'm leaning towards the Compass due to a number of factors, weight being one. I'm looking for one kayak that can do it all. I know there is no perfect kayak for every situation. I live on Lake Guntersville and the Tennessee river, a big body of water. But, I also want to remove the drive and paddel the small rivers and streams in my area. Two or three times a year I go to the Gulf Coast and I want to use the Kayak here also. Some people have recommended a dedicated river boat and a compass. But, I'm only buying one kayak, for now. Do you think the compass is the right boat or would you recommend something else?

Post subject: Re: Multi use Boat
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Steelman, welcome to the forum. A couple of questions: What activities would you be using your boat for -- fishing, sailing, cruising, photography, etc.? How important is weight and size in terms of transport and storage? 8)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
Steelman, welcome to the forum. A couple of questions: What activities would you be using your boat for -- fishing, sailing, cruising, photography, etc.? How important is weight and size in terms of transport and storage? 8)

I'll be fishing mostly. Weight and size are very important since most trips I'll be alone. But, for transport and stoarge it wouldn't be an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:33 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Compass should work well for you. Two things it doesn't have are a sail mount and a reversible Mirage Drive (not a big deal for most people). It paddles fairly decently. It's a nice fishing platform at a relatively good price. 8)