Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my new to me Compass out for my maiden trip. It was like opening a whole new world. I can't believe how fast this thing goes with turbo fins. I could easily go as fast as I could paddle my old kayak with way less effort. It was amazing. I went as fast as I could and yanked hard starboard rudder. It turned so fast I almost fell off. I did ( later) hit an underwater log which I did not see and bent the leading post on the front fin. I pumped it back to the dock and loaded up to go home. Got home and pulled the post. It was bent pretty good. Just enough that the fins almost touched when cycled. I used a tip I read on the net and put the post in my trailer tongue lock hole and bent it back straight. Worked like a charm. Ready to go fishing now. I've got a lot of stuff on order i.e. square hatch and bucket and a battery holder for the circle hatch after I relocate it. I've already had my fish finder and ram ball mount delivered. I've got to wait and see what happens with this hurricane. Sorry this was so long but it was exciting and I have had many kayaks and a lot of time on them.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the club! These things are awesome and are a slightly less money pit than a big boat, but just as fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the Hobie family!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. Now I have to wait out this impending hurricane and hopefully have somewhere to fish after.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too got me a compass, yet to try it out as my wife loves it better than her PA14!

Let's go fishin....Coco
Z-man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well to update this, my house and property made it through the hurricane almost unscathed. I have neighbors who lost everything. [emoji50] I received everything for my compass and have relocated the circle hatch to the front, installed the square hatch and assembled the fish finder with ram ball mount. I also used a tip from the internet and bought a yoga mat that has green palm leaves printed on it and cut and installed using HVAC silicone. Definitely quiets the kayak when dropping stuff on it. It's kinda like cheap seadek. Anyway, the waters around here are just dirty and most of the launch points that I used are gone or closed. Probably going to be a couple more weeks till I can get out. Can't wait.