Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagrass Color
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello Everyone

I am trying to separate fact from rumor. I am hearing the Seagrass color absorbs the water color you are in and actually stains to the point it cannot be removed. Anyone owning this color kayak please comment. If you have a waterline mark which cannot be easily removed, what do you recommend to clean the plastic? All comments are welcome.

Many thanks

Gary

Post subject: Re: Seagrass Color
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gary J Domain wrote:
Hello Everyone

I am trying to separate fact from rumor. I am hearing the Seagrass color absorbs the water color you are in and actually stains to the point it cannot be removed. Anyone owning this color kayak please comment. If you have a waterline mark which cannot be easily removed, what do you recommend to clean the plastic? All comments are welcome.

Many thanks

Gary

Gary,

I am pushing 300 nautical miles on my Compass in the Gulf. It gets dirty. The key to keeping any color kayak looking good is cleaning it after use and not letting any stains of any kind set in on the plastic. I wash my Compass after every outing. That means after a single or multi-day trip. Usually no later than the next day after I get home.

Love the Seagrass color. Wish my PA14 was Seagrass sometimes, but still like the Papaya in the PA.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Steve

I agree this is how it should be done. However, if a stain does set in, are there any remedies for fixing someones wrong (like if you buy a used kayak). Thanks for you feedback.

Regards

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gary J Domain wrote:
Hi Steve

I agree this is how it should be done. However, if a stain does set in, are there any remedies for fixing someones wrong (like if you buy a used kayak). Thanks for you feedback.

Regards

Gary

Some folks mention buffing, but to do that you need the right tools. I buffed my wife's 2012 Revo 11 to get a few minor scratches off the bottom of the hull before I sold it. It was only used 5 times in a freshwater lake...lol! As far as stains, I have had my fair share that I had to experiment on removing. A friend in my subdivision has 2 PA14s. He kept them on his dock. We have tons of cypress trees and the sap left spots all over both PAs that he never got out.

People say a Magic Eraser works well. It does to an extent but it really depends on what the stain is from to determine what solution to remove it. Marks from a rubber/petroleum based stain might come off with "Bug and Tar" remover. I primarily use Mold Armour House and Deck wash or their household mold remover for tough stains on my kayaks. It has bleach in it. Spraying the area and letting it sit for 5 minutes before using a hand soft bristle brush or wash rag usually works on the tough areas. I use the Mold Armour solution on the SeaDek as well for tough stains (mud, blood, and other stains). The bleach in the solution will not hurt the SeaDek or the kayak. WD40 can work on some stains.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Steve

Once again you have the answer's and the experience.

Many thanks and regards.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Papaya, I use Simple Green and a mildly stiff brush to get stains off... seems to work so far, hasnt discolored any areas I've used it on...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I pressure washed my TI the other week and it worked great for getting most of the stains out. I had some stubborn fish blood that wouldnt come out though. I was just careful around hatches and loose parts, but hull line, etc. is super easy!