Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi folks - picked up my new Compass (old model) last week and was very happy with how it functioned. I have previously owned Outback, Revo 11 and Sport.

Only snag is on my first trip I found the tie-down straps marked the Compass very badly so much so I have not been able to clean the marks off, even with Hobie cleaner and other stuff I usually use. I travelled on a dusty (red) road for 2x25km on the trip. The straps were not over-tightened as I double-checked them a couple of times. The marks seem embedded in the plastic if that can be believed!? Maybe the plastic on these is softer. Must say the plastic on my Sport (which my wife uses) is much harder to the touch.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this issue? Any solutions/suggestions? I have been in touch with the dealer and Hobie Australia about it and expressed my concern. Dealer felt I may have to paint it camouflage in future (not very helpful) but said they'd look at it and Hobie HQ still to call back.

Many thanks
Sean

PS: don't see how to attach pics otherwise I would

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since my earlier post I have heard back from Hobie Australia (to whom I sent pics) who were very supportive and positive saying they were sure the marks could be buffed out using a professional buffer but either way they will find a solution for me. I am to drop it back to the dealer for that to be done.

He also assured me that the Compass is made from the same material that the others are made from. I was worried it was softer somehow.

However, the real issue is; is this going to crop up again? I would urge any prospective Compass buyers (who expect to travel on dusty roads) to be very cautious on this issue and get an undertaking from a dealer before buying (that they want to be covered in the event of this sort of thing).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have found that getting some pipe insulation (soft foam similar to a pool noodle) at the hardware store and cutting pieces to put under straps helps to protect and prevent any marring or stains from whatever you are using to strap the kayak down. I use one of those thick black rubber straps with the "S" hooks on each end at the back to secure the Compass to the bed extender. Putting those pieces under the strap keeps the black rubber from leaving marks.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use 4 pieces of felt for that purpose. I found anytime I used pool noodles they would collapse and the straps would loosen.
Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 am 
Site Admin

If using straps you can make a twist in the strap to prohibit vibration. That is what would leave a mark.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks all for helpful suggestions - appreciated. Will definitely take up some of those in future despite never having to do it with other Hobbies in the past.

I think a determining factor for my issues was the red dust. It seems somehow to have become embedded in the plastic.

cheers
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:31 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Once you get it clean, you might consider treating it with Hobie Protectant or 303. The Hobie product is better IMO -- stays on longer. In both cases, you want to keep it out of the cockpit -- very slippery. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Roadrunner, I have the 303 and Hobie products so will give the latter a go first. I am definitely going to get some felt for future trips otherwise will consider tying it down at the nose and rear. I assume those screws on the handles will hold!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

No. Do not use the bow and stern handles to tie onto the car... mabe just as backup, but not the full load.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Okay, noted, thanks Matt. Appreciate the interest.

Only reason I thought of it is to avoid the tie-down markings issue mentioned in the first post. I am really not going to be happy to have those marks crop up every time I venture onto dusty roads with the Compass, which is more often than not!? I use my wife's Sport and did use my old Revo and Outbacks countless times in those conditions, with no permanent marking issues.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

Should be no different. Different straps? I think it is the vibration, so be sure to twist the straps or pad lines to prevent it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

same straps (bought from Hobie dealer for purpose) tied/secured in the same way as used on 3 other Hobie models in same conditions over about 12 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quick update - took my Compass in to the dealer and he used a product called Gumption (inexpensive, found in supermarkets and hardware stores in Aus) - slightly abrasive paste used with a wet cloth - and it took the orange/dust marks out but left whitish residue marks which he says will come out using a protectant or vehicle exterior trim cream which I have yet to try. He also confirmed it was his view that the dust/colouration had somehow become embedded in the outer layer of the kayak. Interesting and I guess worrying as that is what always seemed to be the case.