Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I an 51 years old and have been old school paddling (with an actual paddle) for over 40 years and have owned many various sit inside kayaks. I use kayaks for fitness, nature photography, and mostly fishing. I have been fishing since kindergarten. I fish rivers, lakes, and mainly oceans. I currently fish mainly out of my Feathercraft Big Kahuna because I broke my back snowboarding 20+ years ago and find it difficult to lift heavy weight unassisted onto my Expedition roof racks. I have made various modifications to my Feathercraft to included on deck strap down horizontal rod holders / trollers, gps mount, net, gaff and terminal tackle storage. The set up works excellent, even through surf launching.

I am looking to purchase a Hobie peddle kayak because I have had problems with large fish I have caught (or more specifically not caught) in the ocean. I managed to get a 30+ lb halibut along side me off Catalina Island, but ultimately decided to pull the leadhead out and let it go because I have seen what destruction a Halibut that size can do on board a boat - I wasn't about to risk something happening to me considering I was 6 miles away from my anchored boat, fishing by myself. I know, I should always use the buddy system, but if I had to do that every time I wanted to go fishing I would not go very often. Besides, I am good shape, swim regularly, have all the safety gear (waterproof VHF & GPS, self assist paddle float etc), always wear a PFD, and am very proficient (and practice regularly) self assisted reentry. I have also been towed various times into kelp, or UW structure by large fish (Yellowtail / WSB / Jurasic Sheepshead) and had to basically cut the line after 1/2 hour+ struggling hopelessly to pull the fish out of their safe hiding. As you all know, I can't control my kayak with the paddle and fight a fish at the same time - small river trout or lake fish yes, but not something I need both hands on the rod to fight. The times I have managed to pull sizable fish out of the ocean, I have had to struggle to keep them fresh on my limited above deck surface area - basically haul into shore to put them immediately on ice in the truck ice chest.

I recently went on a ocean kayak fishing mothership trip and am now completely sold on the whole peddle assisted kayak fishing deal. EVERYONE on the trip had Hobie mirage drive kayaks and it was really awesome to watch them control their kayaks with their feet while battling larger type fish with both hands on the rods. Being able to turn the bow into the fish and back peddle to keep the fish from running to structure is an awesome concept. I basically just have to hang on and waterski behind the fish until it decides to stop. The ability to have enough stability to practically lock down the drag setting to keep the fish from running to cover is another great option - if I even try to do that I will get flipped in an instant due to my limited primary and secondary stability.

Everyone that owned the Hobies were really stoked on their yaks, and more than happy to explain things to me - really nice group of guys. So I have done some more research and narrowed my choices down to: Revolution 13, Outback, and the Compass. I was pretty much sold on the Revo 13 because I am going to want to mix up the peddling with paddling and from everything I have read the Revo is the best paddler, but after talking to some of the guys on the trip that switched from the Revo to the Outback, It seems I might want a little more stability considering I will only be using the Hobie in pursuit of larger ocean fish (still plan on using the Feathercraft on small water). They Outback seem really cool, but its go a lot of stuff that I don't want / need, and besides its heavier than the compass and revo. I am now leaning towards the Compass because I am a minimalist, and I really like the idea of the lighter weight of the compass for car topping. I got enough info from the guys on the trip to figure out even with my back problems, with proper form and leverage assistance tools, it should be no problem for me to load / unload it on the truck. I have also read the Compass is not a bad paddler, due to the incorporation of the sharper bow like the Revo.

At this point I only have a few concerns about the Compass (and these may be purely due to my lack of knowledge on the subject):

(1) It seems like it only has two scupper holes on the deck - just aft of the seat? Is this correct? If so, what happens when you store the beach wheels in those scupper holes during a surf launch and you take water onto the deck? Where does the water exit? I will need to store the wheels on deck because most of the launches I do are across wide sandy beaches that are far away from any parking.

(2) Again re the scupper holes... If a livewell bait tank has the supply / drain lines that run through the scupper holes, and the Compass only has two scupper holes, what then? Again same safety / comfort concern - where does water that is accumulated on the deck go?

(3) The seat - It sounds like its not adjustable on the height axis - and it looks like it sits pretty high up. I understand this is great for visibility and keeping your seat dry off the deck, but its not good for stability having the center of gravity higher off the deck. Can the seat be modified / adjusted somehow to get it down flush with the deck for more stability during surf launches / exits? Can the Outback seat be substituted on the Compass?

Sorry about the length of this post - THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THE FORUM, and I just want to make sure I make the right purchase. Any and all input from members would be greatly appreciated! I am really excited on my future Hobie purchase and can't wait to land something big on it!

Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have you purchased a kayak yet, still looking?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Addressing points 1 and 2, when the wheels are put in the scupper holes, they don't fit so tight enough that water can still drain out. Personally I put the wheels flat on the back and clip them onto the bungee cord so that I can maximize my deck space.

For point 3, I think the Compass seats are unique in the Hobie line up. ie you can't use the normal Vantage seats in the Compass. I'm certain if I'm wrong, Matt or someone else will chime in.

Try a demo first if you can. I don't find any stability issues with the seat position and I have been in pretty rough and windy fishing conditions. If you are worried about tipping over I think you can put the 'outriggers' on the Compass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I tried both outback and compass in some pretty rough water with 20+ mph winds . both are VERY stable.
I chose the compass for two reasons, lighter weight and one hand steering. The one hand steering was the deal maker
for fishing. I use a pretty heavy fishing pole to troll off the right side of the boat in a rod holder with my right hand ready
for a strike, instantly I can turn the boat to the right and get to the action, can't do that with outback. I'm not in any way knocking the outback but for my application the compass fits bill.

Good luck ,
Happy peddling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mickey bitsko wrote:
I tried both outback and compass in some pretty rough water with 20+ mph winds . both are VERY stable.
I chose the compass for two reasons, lighter weight and one hand steering. The one hand steering was the deal maker
for fishing. I use a pretty heavy fishing pole to troll off the right side of the boat in a rod holder with my right hand ready
for a strike, instantly I can turn the boat to the right and get to the action, can't do that with outback. I'm not in any way knocking the outback but for my application the compass fits bill.

Good luck ,
Happy peddling

I don't understand your comment. The Outback allows you to steer with either hand, like on the PA series boats. It doesn't require both hands to steer. The Compass requires you to steer with your left hand. right?
cheers, roger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was contemplating the same this spring ... pulled the trigger on a Demo Compass. I had an opportunity to purchase the store owner's 2015 Outback that was in MINT condition at the same price ... very tempted. However, I really didn't need all the bells and whistles, and the weight of the Outback convinced me as I car top my kayak. The Compass is a cinch to load on my rack; the Outback, while do-able, was an effort.

I find the seat quite comfortable (after I broke the seat plug after my 1st outing and had it replaced). It is not at all high, and I feel very stable in chop. My maiden voyage was in 15 MPH wind off Buzzards Bay, significant chop (3 foot), and never felt uncomfortable. In fact, the guy I was fishing with has an Outback and he flipped it (had a bluefish on his line ...) The Compass had to rescue the Outback! My point is it is extremely stable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had a Hobie Outback for many years. It was awesome. I only sold it, because I sold my lake house. I am now back into Kayak fishing. I went with the compass this time due to the lighter weight. It performs very much like the Outback. The one post above is incorrect. All hobies steer with one hand rudder control. Outback give the rider the option to use left or right hand to control rudder.
The seat height is just right with the Compass. I believe it can be set a bit lower, but I haven't wanted to.