Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass Inside Handles
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What is the purpose of putting the handles on the inside of the kayak?

Isn't it harder to car top that way vs having outside handles?

Seems like lifting the kayak on top of your head is harder too, I don't get it.

Are they just there for walking with the kayak while it's by your side and you hold it with 1 hand?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The handles typically are positioned on the inside of the cockpit for several reasons:

1. They are convenient if carrying the kayak sideways.
2. They are out of the way when you don't need them. If positioned on the outside of the kayak, they can interfere with the paddle, catch hooks, gear, etc.
3. They don't get caught on roof racks while car topping.
4. The parts of the kayak where they attach inside the cockpit are very strong, with thick plastic in the mounting locations.

With a little practice loading and unloading the kayak, you'll find that the handle placement we've chosen to recommend for adding the carry handles (part #71190031) is the best choice. Additionally, you will find it's hardly ever necessary to lift the kayak overhead and carry it that way. Drop me a message if you have any further questions.

HANDLE - SIDE CARRY KIT
US $31.49

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HStrech wrote:
The handles typically are positioned on the inside of the cockpit for several reasons:

2. They are out of the way when you don't need them. If positioned on the outside of the kayak, they can interfere with the paddle, catch hooks, gear, etc.
4. The parts of the kayak where they attach inside the cockpit are very strong, with thick plastic in the mounting locations.

With a little practice loading and unloading the kayak, you'll find that the handle placement we've chosen to recommend for adding the carry handles (part #71190031) is the best choice. Additionally, you will find it's hardly ever necessary to lift the kayak overhead and carry it that way. Drop me a message if you have any further questions.

HANDLE - SIDE CARRY KIT
US $31.49

Hi ... new Compass owner. Can you provide some suggestions for getting the Compass up on the car rack? I have a 2014 Subaru Outback with the standard rack ... use it extensively with my other paddle yaks ('07 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, 2011 Future Beach Angler 160). Both of these I can mount on my car unassisted using the design of the car's rack ... the big notch in the rack between the rails ... will hold the nose of the kayak in place while I lift the tail. However, I am concerned with the rudder on the Compass as I would be putting the weight of the kayak on the rudder while lifting the nose. Suggestions?

Also, tips for using the existing molded handles when lifting the kayaks nose or tail?

I was thinking that a tie-down strap would work as a make-shift handle in the center of the boat?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

jeffreyrichard, After much trial and error, I was unable to satisfactorily load the Compass onto my Durango using any cradles or racks, as I've done with other kayaks. I just couldn't consistently protect the rudder, whether with crate, or other blocking, etc.
For a few times, I loaded it upside down in the cradles, but wasn't confident it wouldn't slide off of them, while on the road. Padding the crossbars and loading upside down was only marginally better, but I still worry about siding forward or backward.
In the end, I 'stole' my wife's Hullivator. I may have to buy another Hullivator....which I'd prefer not to do....but it's the only loading option I am comfortable with, so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[youtube][/youtube
jeffreyrichard wrote:
HStrech wrote:

HANDLE - SIDE CARRY KIT
US $31.49

Hi ... new Compass owner. Can you provide some suggestions for getting the Compass up on the car rack? I have a 2014 Subaru Outback with the standard rack ... use it extensively with my other paddle yaks ('07 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140, 2011 Future Beach Angler 160). Both of these I can mount on my car unassisted using the design of the car's rack ... the big notch in the rack between the rails ... will hold the nose of the kayak in place while I lift the tail. However, I am concerned with the rudder on the Compass as I would be putting the weight of the kayak on the rudder while lifting the nose. Suggestions?

Also, tips for using the existing molded handles when lifting the kayaks nose or tail?

I was thinking that a tie-down strap would work as a make-shift handle in the center of the boat?
]
HStrech wrote:

HANDLE - SIDE CARRY KIT
US $31.49

Howie- I purchased the handle kit for my Compass. Are you suggesting to mount them over the existing handle holes on the Compass. Mine is a 2017 model.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

bdsmith32086 wrote:
Howie- I purchased the handle kit for my Compass. Are you suggesting to mount them over the existing handle holes on the Compass. Mine is a 2017 model.
Things you can do with a grip:

For loading...
single

tandem

For hanging on...

Attachment point...

Handling without a grip:

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I used these on my Compass setup vertically about 8-12' in front of the molded handles. Perfect for me to load on to Hullivator.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where exactly do you mount the Hobie side handles on a Compass?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there any reason these handles were recommended as opposed to the hard rigid handles?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Instructions: https://static.hobiecat.com/item_attachments/71190031_Compass_Side_Carry_Handle_Kit_manual.pdf

Soft to lay flat until needed I would think.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)