Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. I'm a 5'4", 120 lbs and debating between buying a Compass and a Perception Pescador Pilot. A few questions:

- the seat isn't adjustable is it?
- if not, can the pedals be adjusted enough that my small 5'4" frame can comfortably pedal?
- is it possible to mount two Hobie kayaks (either two Compasses, or one Compass/one Outback) on the roof of a vehicle?

And if anyone has any opinions on the comparison of the Compass vs Pescador Pilot I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:21 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Jo, welcome to the forum. The seat does not slide, but the pedals do adjust up to about 12 inches. You should be able to mount two boats side to side depending on the width of your roof rack and/or your mounting system, subject to the weight limits of your vehicle.

Lifting the boats overhead can be difficult for some people, so weight can be a consideration. Another option is trailering -- there are some light weight trailers available.

I have not tried the Pescador, but have owned a couple of similar cyclical pedal kayaks and find the pushing motion of the Hobie Mirage Drive superior -- easier on the knees and faster. The stroke length on Hobies is whatever you want but on cyclical pedal drives it is pretty huge is you have short legs.

It would be a great idea to take a demonstration ride before you decide if possible! 8)

PS. For your size, the Hobie Sport would be an excellent alternative -- comparative light, very maneuverable and smaller cockpit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Roadrunner. I looked at the sport but one of the things that attracted me to the Compass was the open bow. Lots of room for my dog in front and then cargo in the stern. Thanks again for the info.