Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked up my compass last week and so far, I love it. I'm fairly new to kayak fishing, so I'm likely to have some rookie questions! I want to pick up a fish finder this week and I want something with side scan. I'm leaning towards the Elite ti2. First, when I load/unload my kayak in the back of my truck, I basically have to slide it in. Same when I launch at the local dock. While it's moving across plastic or wood, I can imagine the protruded berley mount would become an issue with that type of load/launch. Is an arm for the transducer the best solution in my situation?

Also, if you would recommend something other than the Elite TI2, please don't hesitate. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my opinion, an over-the-side arm is less ideal than mounting to the Lowrance Ready cavity on your boat. The arms cause tracking issues and can get in the way of your fishing. Options for fix mounting to the bottom of your kayak are by using either the Hobie kit or the BerleyPro kit. Care must be taken, but the transducers can withstand some scrapes and abrasion.

Here's the Hobie part you'll need:

PLATE KIT, LOWRANCE READY TOTA

US$ 39.99

If you're interested in the BerleyPro version, check out their website: https://www.berleypro.com/product-category/hobie/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! I really don't want the arm. On another note, my wife now wants a compass, and I just read that the new outback with the guardian system actually retracts when not in use. Hmmm, maybe I should give her my compass and get an outback. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Elite Ti2 9" and I love it. I bought the berleypro kit. The kit can take a fair amount of beating... I usually drag my compass a few feet when launching/docking. So far it's holding up but it seems like I'd have to get another kit eventually. In any case, it's much better to be replacing the kit instead of the transducer.