Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie Compass newbie
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to Hobie and settled on the compass a week ago. Did not upgrade drive or anything else. On a budget...daughter in college. First thoughts is I love it compared to paddle yaks like my tandem Ocean. I mainly fish in the gulf north of Tampa so pretty shallow 3-25ft. Tying to adapt to tight space in front with drive up there. Gained a ton of room in back though. Store castnet under nifty cover in front. Just ordered the Standard Hobie cart as I usually only have to go 60-80ft over medium sand. Looking at the Turbo fin upgrade kit runs about $153 (6 miles today in some wind). Is it worth it? Not to worried about a couple extra inches of depth needed as I walk out about waist deep now then hop in. Is the sea deck at around $200 worth it? I like the thought of being quite when hunting reds. Any other tips for novice Compass owner? Ohh..I did add the Yakattack rod holder to the track...works great..held up well when a couple Mackerels hit. Seat is awesome. Ordered an arm to for the track so can use my gopro next trip.
So
1) Turbo fins
2) Deck mat
3) ?

Post subject: Re: Hobie Compass newbie
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Firebear wrote:
New to Hobie and settled on the compass a week ago. Did not upgrade drive or anything else. On a budget...daughter in college. First thoughts is I love it compared to paddle yaks like my tandem Ocean. I mainly fish in the gulf north of Tampa so pretty shallow 3-25ft. Tying to adapt to tight space in front with drive up there. Gained a ton of room in back though. Store castnet under nifty cover in front. Just ordered the Standard Hobie cart as I usually only have to go 60-80ft over medium sand. Looking at the Turbo fin upgrade kit runs about $153 (6 miles today in some wind). Is it worth it? Not to worried about a couple extra inches of depth needed as I walk out about waist deep now then hop in. Is the sea deck at around $200 worth it? I like the thought of being quite when hunting reds. Any other tips for novice Compass owner? Ohh..I did add the Yakattack rod holder to the track...works great..held up well when a couple Mackerels hit. Seat is awesome. Ordered an arm to for the track so can use my gopro next trip.
So
1) Turbo fins
2) Deck mat
3) ?

I can't answer your question on the standard fins versus the turbo fins as all I have ever had were turbo fins. The Compass works great with turbo fins. Can outrun my friends in their Pro Anglers...lol! I upgraded to the MD180 with turbo fins when I purchased my Compass for $200 more. I use the MD180 more than I thought I would.

To me I won't own another kayak without SeaDek. It helps tremendously with sound deadening and doe snot get hot even after all day in the sun. Welcome to the Compass family! About 500 nautical mile son my Compass in the Gulf now. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass