Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi guys, now that i have had the compass for a couple of months and have spent probably 50+hrs in the seat working things out, the one thing that is really annoying me now is that the rudder will not stay centered unless i keep my hand on the handle. In my mind, if i am just pedaling along i would like it to go straight without me having to hold the rudder straight. If i need to take my hand off the rudder for whatever reason (etc: grab a rod, change the sounder), i find that it will instantly go full lock one way or the other. Do other people experience this and if so has anybody worked out a way to prevent it?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4SFED wrote:
Hi guys, now that i have had the compass for a couple of months and have spent probably 50+hrs in the seat working things out, the one thing that is really annoying me now is that the rudder will not stay centered unless i keep my hand on the handle. In my mind, if i am just pedaling along i would like it to go straight without me having to hold the rudder straight. If i need to take my hand off the rudder for whatever reason (etc: grab a rod, change the sounder), i find that it will instantly go full lock one way or the other. Do other people experience this and if so has anybody worked out a way to prevent it?

Thanks!

Ii might be because your line tension is a little too loose. If you pull the T-Handle out about an inch or 2 and lock it in the line clamp, that should provide enough tension on the setup to keep the floppy looseness out and maintain the correct orientation (straight).

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
Ii might be because your line tension is a little too loose. If you pull the T-Handle out about an inch or 2 and lock it in the line clamp, that should provide enough tension on the setup to keep the floppy looseness out and maintain the correct orientation (straight).

Thanks! a few questions.

By T handle do you mean the rudder handle on the left hand side? Do you know how to remove this? is there a screw or something under the center cap / badge that i need to take off? The line certainly doesn't feel loose, i mean any small turn on the handle definitely translates to the rudder moving, but will check it.

Am i right in saying that this isn't a general problem with the Compass and that i am alone in having this issue? It feels like there should be some kind of spring or centering mechanism that defaults the rudder to straight, or does it rely on the bulk of the actual rudder being behind the pivot point so that it "automatically centers" itself?

Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4SFED wrote:
SRAces wrote:

Thanks! a few questions.

By T handle do you mean the rudder handle on the left hand side? Do you know how to remove this? is there a screw or something under the center cap / badge that i need to take off? The line certainly doesn't feel loose, i mean any small turn on the handle definitely translates to the rudder moving, but will check it.

Am i right in saying that this isn't a general problem with the Compass and that i am alone in having this issue? It feels like there should be some kind of spring or centering mechanism that defaults the rudder to straight, or does it rely on the bulk of the actual rudder being behind the pivot point so that it "automatically centers" itself?

Cheers.

I am referring to the "T-Handle" on the lower/raise cord that you release from the cleat on the right side to deploy the rudder. If you get just a little tension on that cord it can make the steering feel less sloppy and might help your situation. Just a suggestion.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just an update to this issue and a work around that i used.

I noticed that the rudder handle felt quite loose, so i popped the H cap off the handle and noticed that the Allen bolt was quite loose. I took it all apart and put a bit of thread tape on the end of the bolt and put it back in. I locked it down so that there was a small amount of tension on the handle, just enough resistance to stop it being able to turn by itself. I took it out on the weekend and it certainly now stops the rudder/handle flopping to the extreme left or right and i can go in a straight line without having to hang onto it. It feels much better as the bit of resistance means i can turn the rudder to any position and it will stay there until i choose to move it and wont go wandering off by itself.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

4SFED wrote:
Just an update to this issue and a work around that i used.

I noticed that the rudder handle felt quite loose, so i popped the H cap off the handle and noticed that the Allen bolt was quite loose. I took it all apart and put a bit of thread tape on the end of the bolt and put it back in. I locked it down so that there was a small amount of tension on the handle, just enough resistance to stop it being able to turn by itself. I took it out on the weekend and it certainly now stops the rudder/handle flopping to the extreme left or right and i can go in a straight line without having to hang onto it. It feels much better as the bit of resistance means i can turn the rudder to any position and it will stay there until i choose to move it and wont go wandering off by itself.

Glad you figured out a solution! :D

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A bit late to this conversation, but is the first one I see nearly matching my issue. I just bought a new, off the showroomfloor, 2019 Compas and, on first trip out, it has a strong and consistent tendency to steer left if I take my hand off the control. Looking at the rudder, it is mildly but noticeably warped and the warp is such that yak can be expected go left. Is this a common issue? If so is a correction in the works? Methinks the thing was warped coming out of the mold. Have not talked to the dealer yet, but, for grins, I looked around a bit to see if replacement rudders are being sold. I cannot find anyone on line that carries them. In itself a bit disturbing...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also having fits with my 2019 Compass steering handle!!! The Phillips Head screw keeps backing out while I'm out on the water. First time out the whole handle came off. I now keep a screw driver close by. I tried blue Loctite on the end of the screw but still backed out. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm also having fits with my 2019 Compass steering handle!!! The Phillips Head screw keeps backing out while I'm out on the water. First time out the whole handle came off. I now keep a screw driver close by. I tried blue Loctite on the end of the screw but still backed out. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Loc Tite along the length of the screw... not just the tip.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)