Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After a year of paddling, I'm ready to buy a Compass. Should I spend the extra money to get the camo edition with the 180 drive? I'm primarily a coastal fisherman mostly working around marsh areas. Will I really need to go in reverse that much?

FYI, Hobie dealer told me they no longer upgrade the regular Compass with the 180. I'd have to get the camo, which I'm not crazy about.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

In a word,,,,, yes. I fish lakes, rivers and a few times a year I get down to the coast and fish marsh areas. I wouldn’t go without it.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wordsaw welcome to the forum! I'm also primarily a coastal fisherman. I fish a lot of marsh areas. In these areas the 180 doesn't shine like in other situations because many times it's too shallow to use the pedal drive. However there will be times you are able to use the pedal drive in the marsh. If you can swing it I recommend the 180 for those times when you do find a school of fish, hook into one and want to back out of the school while reeling in your fish instead of being pulled into the school and blowing it up. The alternative here is to have a stake out stick or a Power Pole and stop yourself before you get pulled into the school of fish. Also keep resale value in mind. If a situation ever came up where you wanted to sell the kayak it will be a lot easier to sell with the 180 drive.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, great tips. I think I''ll save up a little and go for the 180 camo edition. I just think if I don't, six months from now I'll wish I had.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You can certainly get by without the 180. If you get the 180, you will wonder how you could live without it. My girl friend has a Compass with a 180, doesn't fish. We were out yesterday, met friends, and with the wind, I was watching her shift forward and reverse to stay in place, after saying she didn't need it. I steal it when I go fishing by myself, and use it in my older Revo 13, and do like the convenience. Two months ago Hobie still had the program to upgrade to the 180 non kick up drive. May be different now because of supply and demand. Compass is really a nice kayak.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Called my Hobie shop two days ago and ordered the camo with the 180. Now just have to wait for it to come in. Thanks to all for the good comments.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have the Camo Compass.

i use the reverse quite often. it is sometime a PIA. i do find as i am getting more and more experience on the water with my kayak, i am now sometimes able to anticipate the boats movements..my kayak turns tight..very tight. i sometimes get lazy and will flip a u-turn rather than back it all up. i just have to adjust with my casting. you perfect the backhanded cast very quickly if you do this.

i am primarily a lake fisherman. i will watch the propeller pedallers in my group. their instant reverse is nice to see. but smoking them in on the against the wind and river tides..is worth the cost of admission.