Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Some issues I am having with the quality control of my Hobie Compass.

Was currently planning to purchase Sidekicks and Loader for my Compass and glad I came back to this great forum. Just finished reading about a new problem with the "Loader". It has been reported that the current models have rivets that are to short and appears that some one didn't measure the material being joined with the correct length rivet.

A recommendation is to have a assembly point for the Loaders that only have the required few pieces. This would eliminate the use of wrong parts for that item being assembled.

How can we tell the "new" Loader with the correct size rivet from the "old" loader with the wrong size rivet? Will dealers know the difference? Do we have Hobie pay for return shipping and return a fixed/corrected loader?

What I am getting at is I had to "pay" shipping (nearest Dealer is 75 miles away) for the improved Compass seat strap connecters which was a known problem to Hobie.

Also, was getting ready to buy sidekicks and found out on this forum that they do not fit the Compass. Is this true? I have not found a notice from Hobie that states " sidekicks do not fit xyz models or you need model ABC for the Compass". Maybe I missed seeing that notice?

Have owned and used Hobie products for years. But to have three possible known major problems on one model that the owner is expected to paid for having them fixed does not seem right to the owners.

Does Hobie actually field test new design items before putting them on the market?

If you have any "new" items coming out I am sure several Compass owners to include myself would be glad to field test them for you and give you an honest evaluation.

Part of my background is Contract and Quality control.

Thanks for your help on these issues.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Threebears wrote:
Also, was getting ready to buy sidekicks and found out on this forum that they do not fit the Compass. Is this true? I have not found a notice from Hobie that states " sidekicks do not fit xyz models or you need model ABC for the Compass". Maybe I missed seeing that notice?

Not true. I recently saw a Compass with AMA Sidekicks installed. You just have to install the mount that supports the bar close to the edge of the rear tankwell instead of installing it near the edge of the kayak.

I would post pics but unfortunately Hobie requires the use of a third party hosting site to post pics here. Third party hosting sites are one of the most hacker vulnerable and unsafe places on the internet so I don't use them and therefor can never post pics unless there's another way I'm not familiar with.

It can be done.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the Sidekick info. Also, waiting to hear from Hobie....Matt...

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

The rivet issue is a type... not length.

We now use the kayak rivet (black) rather than the silver bulb rivet (collapses in an X shape inside). More like a sheet rock molly screw. I would guess early engineering samples of the loader had thicker molded parts or a slight metric difference in the rivet part used in production may have caused the issue to not rear it's ugly head until the first major production run.

I'm not aware of an improved seat strap connector part? We changed the strap length and adjusted the attachment points. Only the first 1/2 year of production should have had any issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,
Thanks for the response. l will order the loader and look for the black rivet...…

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Matt,

Do you have any pictures of where to best install the sidekicks on the Compass?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:46 pm 
Site Admin

I do not... Typically aft of the seat where you can get the crossbar hardware bolted on.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

quote...I would post pics but unfortunately Hobie requires the use of a third party hosting site to post pics here. Third party hosting sites are one of the most hacker vulnerable and unsafe places on the internet so I don't use them and therefor can never post pics unless there's another way I'm not familiar with.

I`ve seen it done. I don`t know how, but folks have changed some settings in their computer and the pictures get posted directly to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Images Provided by Jerry! Thanks!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Jerry and Matt for the pictures.... they help........