Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mine is a 2019. i bought it earlier this year when Covid told us to find things to do solo. mine was a leftover 2019 in a sea of 2020 boats. i got the Camo version with the 180 drive.

it is my only and first kayak, so i have nothing to compare to. you should have seen the internal struggle between Outback, PA12 and the Compass. i got the Compass for a few highlights. its weight and it's length. i transport it in the back of my Toyota Tacoma with Boondox bed extender. i just barely need the extender.

the bad. one of the transducer bolts was savagely miss drilled. it didnt line up and it was forced into place. i took a drill and oblonged a hole and it is better. but the offending fastner is no longer flush and it grinds on the worst loading ramps. the rear single handle is a joke. your boat will tip one way or the other. no way around it. load it up with gear and it is almost a drinking game which way it will dump your stuff. i cup my other hand underneath. no side handles except the two inset ones. the boat is big and cumbersome to handle with a single handle. i added a extra handle just to help me climb back aboard should i fall out. my round hatch leaks a tiny bit. i will change it to the rectangular one, and move the round one up front..so i can blow air in during storage to dry out. we get zebra mussel inspections so a dry boat helps. the seat could be improved somewhat: it is very comfortable. the bad part, you cannot slide a normal tackle storage container underneath. the space is too narrow with that stiffener bar running across. moving it up a mere half inch would make the space underneath the seat way more user friendly. i had a motorcycle injury that messed up my right leg a bit, so standing from such a low seated position is difficult for me. i am to jerky standing up and i rock the boat. my rudder control got really loose really quickly. i keep a hand on it since it can turn itself, and if i am on the gas, it feels like it will flip me right out. the cupholder: really? it is pretty good for a nalgene bottle. but nothing else. i might make a rod holder/cup holder..i have a plan!

other than that, i am having a blast. i am catching largemouth bass. it is stable, and fast. easy to operate. it was way cheaper than my other two options, and i can load it solo with ease. it feels heavier than 67lbs empty, but i manage. it scratches easy, but who cares. will it be my last Kayak. probably not. i'll get it out in the ocean and get more input there. i can spin around easily to get to my gear in back. i can step in and not fall out at the docks. it was my perfect "1st kayak".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks for the review. A couple of suggestions: Your rudder steering lines sound loose. If you snug them up (inspection plate above the rudder), this will eliminate excessive play.

A basic Standard plug-in cart (you don't need anything heavier) is a great tool. Instead of dragging and scratching the boat, you can attach the cart while the boat is still on your truck, roll it into the water, unplug the cart in the water, store it onboard, reinstall it in the water, roll the entire contents to your truck and slide it right in. Saves time, energy and wear on the boat. Also extends your easy launching capability to beaches and shores.8)