Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone swapped out their plastic stock rudder for a metal rudder?
Which metal rudder did you go with and was the change worthwhile?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check out this video. Thereʻs a regular size rudder which is what is shown in the video and a large size. I got the large size for my Compass and Compass Duo. I had to trim the large rudder a little bit to fit my Compass but it fit on my Compass Duo perfectly with no mods. One of the best upgrades I did to my kayak.

Here is what my rudder looks like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do you have contact information for Bert?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The contact info is in the video above.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks. I did not notice the contact info the first time I watched the video. I did an internet search and found Snipe Industries and when rewatching the video after the last post, I saw the Snipe contact info. I sent them an email and received a response the some day. Currently out of stock with this item.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Boonedox makes a metal rudder now. I'm going to be installing and testing it this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I apologize for the double post but I have the update. I installed the Boonedox OBC aluminum rudder last weekend and went out on the water yesterday. It works on the Compass Duo. It dramatically improved authority and responsiveness. One caveat is that I tightened up the rudder lines and screwed in the Hex(aka Allen) bolt on the steering handle too. The original rudder was bent and scratched from all the rough landings. If your rudder is in good shape it might not be worth the $50. Tightening the lines and steering might be enough for a few years. On a Duo, the rudder is undersized as it is and the plastic rudder wears out fast dragging on boat ramps and rocks. The OBC is a bit bigger, dimensions are 6.5" x 10", but a lot more solid. Normally I have to load the front with about 1/3-1/2 my weight to balance the Duo in a slight breeze. I forgot my ice chest at home so the front had maybe 20lbs of gear. I went out in some 15 mph winds blowing down the lake. It was still a fight but I was able to keep on my spot with a downrigger line down. The steering handle is still sorely lacking. There's not enough surface for gripping it when it's tightened all the way down. But the Duo tracks a lot smoother without the constant micro-adjustments when underway. I dragged the rudder on some rocks during a landing and it didn't even scratch the paint.