Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am just asking everyone for what they thing is better before I make the purchase and cut the Compass.
Please leave your thoughts and comments to help me decide which way to go. I will be using this for fishing but will probably never fish standing up.

Thanks for the input and opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Different people have different needs/preferences, but I just completed a vertical hatch install on my 2019 Compass Duo. My reasons for choosing the vertical rectangular hatch over the horizontal one: more room to stand with feet on either side while fishing, and a more certain fit with the drop-in tray accessory. If you’ve read this forum you know that many have found after installing the horizontal hatch in their Compass that the tray wouldn’t drop in all the way and they couldn’t close the hatch without modifying the tray due to the hull changing slightly over time. Using the vertical hatch eliminates this potential problem I believe, as it centers the hatch in the deepest part of the hull. The fit is a bit tight between the scupper housings and Mirage drive housings inside the hull, but there is room with careful positioning before one starts cutting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok

This is for both of my Compass's. A 2019 and a 2021. And yes the vertical hatch does fit the 2021. I did hug the scuppers and needed to file a little 45 on the backing ring to not interfere with the radius inside the hull.

After reading many posts and making a cardboard mock up I have purchased and installed the vertical hatch.
My decision was based on opening while sitting as my legs on each side of the hatch it was easier to open.
I also found that the more room on each side would allow standing area to be larger.
The white storage bin fits with no modifications also.