Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Hobie 16
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No trailer. One sidebar is bad, and I'm sure it needs a new tramp. It's sitting on my point at Henrico, NC.

I built it from a couple of wrecked boats when I was a dealer in the 1980's. One boat was in a wreck on the highway, that destroyed the left half of the boat, and the other had the right side destroyed when a very large tree fell on the right hull. The serial numbers don't match. Late 80's, but we should be able to read the serial numbers.

Both hulls are yellow, and bottoms should be fine. I also don't think they have soft spots, but I haven't paid much attention to it for years. I never sailed it. I took both wrecked boats in on trade for new ones in the late '80's. I don't think either boat had been sailed to amount to anything. It's been sitting out in the weather for years. Mast has a Comptip. Clear anodizing.

Not sure if I can find the sails, and boom, or not.

I just need it gone, because we're planning to rent the point for weddings starting this Spring.

About halfway between where I85, and I95 cross the Va./N.C. line.

email for address: historichousepreservation@gmail.com

Post subject: Re: Free Hobie 16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No one has contacted me about this boat yet. I found not only the sails, but another set that probably needs some repair. I'm also getting ready to toss all the leftover parts I had from the 1980's dealership. Bring a couple of large trashcans, and we can pile all that stuff in them. Also, there are a number of rudders, and rudder assemblies. One new Hobie 14 Comtip, and I don't even know what else.

As we're going through the stuff, I reserve the right to pull out what I want to keep, which won't be much.

There are also a number of NOS roof racks, still in the boxes, that can go with all the rest.

Don't ask me what exactly is there, because I don't remember, and am not going to look through it to see. I just want to get rid of the stuff, because the building it's in is getting ready to be used for something else.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All this stuff is going to get tossed next week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Tom
I need a boom if still available
Mike
Themadges@tbaytel.net

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd come get it but with the lockdown over the virus it would be a couple weeks

H18

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I can leave it sitting there until then, or even some longer if needed. I have plenty of other stuff that needs to be done, and I've put my helpers on paid leave, so things are slowed up here too. Grass needs to be planted where the boat is, but we still have time on that. I don't have a trailer it will fit on easily.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised at the boat, even though it's been sitting for a long time.

We're about halfway between where I85, and I95 cross the Virginia line. It's easy to get to from either Interstate, but easiest from 95.

Please use the email address, because I don't check these forums very often. You will need a large pickup bed, at least, in addition to the trailer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyone else, no need to ask if I will ship anything. My important to-do list is too long.