Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I'm going to Oak Island next week. Sailboats are allowed to be left on the beach overnight. I hear the west end of the island is good to put in/take out. Anyone leave their boat down there? Any of you have a preferred spot to leave your boat at Oak Island? We've never been there. Any suggestions and/or tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Fred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wonderful place. We've been going there since 1958 and have kept many boats on the beach. We have never had any trouble. Oak Island is made up of Caswell, Yaupon, and Long Beach (the west end of the island). There isn't much access on Caswell or Yaupon. Long Beach has many. Depending on where you're staying, there may not be a lot of beach left during high tide though. After Hurricane Matthew a few years ago, many of the dunes are gone and there is plenty of room. You can basically keep the boat at your steps. If you have to keep it a house or two down, it should be safe. We had to do that with our SolCat 18 one year. The beach is very lo key and quiet. There are public access points just about every block on Long Beach to unload and there is a small marina on the back side of the island near the west end. Wind is pretty good usually. Not many sailboats. A handful of small fishing boats. Maybe a freighter a day going up the Cape Fear river to Wilmington, but they are out pretty far. It's a nice place. Just make sure you stay clear of the turtle nests.

If you've got the nerve, you can sail the 30+ miles straight out to Frying Pan Tower. If you hit Florida, you've gone too far.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the great info. I'll put in on the west end and leave it somewhere close by. Hopefully it won't bother anyone, and no one will bother it.

Have you really sailed out to Frying Pan Tower? That sounds like an awesome objective and a hell of a commitment. I'm not sure if my wife will let me be gone that long. With average wind, how long do you think that would take? I'm guessing 6 hours.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That was a bit of a joke. Since it's beyond eyesight, I wouldn't attempt to sail out to FPT on a boat without navigation. You can sail over to Bald Head Island and to Southport and around the Point. Holden Beach is really close on the other side of the Point. We usually just sailed up and down the beach just past the piers. There's really no particular place to go. We used to throw a spoon out and catch Spanish Macs. If you sail up to Bald Head, you'll be sailing in and around the mouth of the Cape Fear River. The water is calm there and the wind is still pretty good. Even off the beach you don't get swells much bigger than 4-5ft normally.

If your house isn't ocean front and you're close, there is a public access on 42nd West Beach and there are no houses for about a block. That would be a good spot to beach your boat. I wouldn't be worried about it. The place is very laid back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update on the Oak Island trip. Firstly, we only capsized twice and got it righted quickly...not bad for an old man and a 14 year old boy. We were staying across the bridge and ended up putting the boat in at Caswell, at the end of McGlammery Rd or Dr. It was perfect for loading the boat down to the water and leaving it all week. No one seemed to mess with it at all and we got in 5 days of good sailing. We didn't really try to go anywhere since my wife and daughters were hanging out on the beach. We'd go out for an hour or two and come back for an hour or two. We looked at the place on the west end, but it was far from our place and no better than where we ended up. One night the beach ambassador came along and told me I had to get the boat off the beach by 830 or they'd take it. As it turned out, I knew more about the ordinances than she did and she went on her way with some updated information. I had found the ordinances online and had called town hall, just to be sure.

It was an awesome vacation and we can't wait to get back. I've owned the hobie 16 for a month and absolutely love it. It's soooooo fast in 13 mph wind. And great father/son time. The boy is having a blast with it too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great story. I too have a 14 year old son and I was able to take him sailing recently and now he is hooked. It's all about family and fun!

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Sailors,

I am guessing things may have changed some in Oak Island, NC since anyone has posted about going there.

So, I am reaching out because I am 90% sure I am headed to Oak Island, NC late this month May/Early June with my Hobie 17S.

I've looked into the posts you all have written about Oak Island, NC going back > 10 years. I have looked into the Beach Regs and not yet found any +/- statements about beach sailing, boats on beach overnight, etc. and I called Oak Island, NC and I will again but so far I am getting voicemail.

As an intro, I'm up in NC and I've sailed out of New Rochelle, NY(1989), Sandy Hook, NJ(2002), Rehobeth/Dewey/Lewes, Delaware(1991-2004) and Ocean City, MD(1993-4) Beaches, many lakes in PA(1991-1994) and Kitty Hawk(2002), Lake Townsend (2012),Lake Norman(2019), Morehead City(2019) and Currituck(2020) in NC. I have tried to add these sites to the places to sail map with some success.

I guess we are all finding it harder to find where to put in as the coasts seem to be all bought up and let's face it-it takes more work and prep than other current and upcoming thrill-seeking watersports. At the same time, I have always experienced that all the work and prep have provided a great payoff in keeping a community, building camaraderie, learning/unlerning/re-learning, good cheer, friendship and its own unique thrills and rewards.

So, I am considering the following launch locations and asking if anyone knows if the boat is still allowed to be kept on the beach overnight and what other salient recent points to know about and consider on or near Oak Island, NC (permit?, regs, ?).

The Point on the West end
https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2 ... 78.2280835
33.91372410648446, -78.22808353581871

The Other Point Location (near Lockwoods Folley Inlet)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/The+P ... 78.2321727
33.91586092552878, -78.23217118845822

Caswell Beach (East End) McGlammery Rd
33.90261942928769, -78.07532975906287
https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2 ... 78.0753298

East end @ Ft Caswell, NC?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/33%C2 ... 78.0193635
33.89436005439012, -78.01936354470793

Other places or insight?

Thank you and Have a Hobie Day,

Michael

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've launched on the sound side at the Point at the West end. From there, you can circle around the point to the ocean. I only sailed for a day and loaded back up in the evening, so not sure about overnight storage. I would call and ask the town. If you wanted, I'm sure you could anchor it on the backside of the island for the night, as far as I know there are no rules about anchoring there.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks Mantaray. At this point, I am intending to go off the west end and or Mcglammery.

I was guessing it was a long shot but I checked in with Fort Caswell and the facility there is a private facility with lodging and to use the ramp requires an advance reservation(no same day reservations) as it is linked with use of their marina. I have launched from a lot of places but this won't work out for a Hobie beach cat.

We only get so many days overall and less than that to sail!