Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can anyone give me advise on why my jib is hitting and getting stuck on my mast? IMG_1283.jpeg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 am 
Site Admin

The Hobie 16 jib is larger than the "fore-triangle" (the area between the mast and forestay). It also has full-length battens. This is a powerful sail. In light winds the jib may have to be pushed across. Grab the second batten up and push forward to bend it and push the jib forward of the mast and through the triangle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie makes a couple of items you can use that will help minimize your jib getting hung up on the mast:

Part# 122 Super Jib Battens, which are more flexible than the normal battens and this helps a lot in lighter wind.

Part# 114 Halyard Grip, which pulls the jib and main halyards further back on sides of the mast so the jib battens won't get hung up on them.

I use the super jib battens and the main & jib halyard grips on my 1984 H16 (with 1987 sails). Since I normally sail solo they have basically eliminated jib hang ups.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As Matt shows in his rigging video, take the main halyard around the back of the shroud and the opposite side of the down haul cleat before putting it on the halyard cleat. This will keep the main halyard off the front of the mast so the jib battens won’t hang up on it as easy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As mjggjm said about pulling the main halyard behind the shroud and looping it around the downhaul cleat before tying it off to the side cleat will help a lot. I have 3:1 downhaul and I was doing something similar by using the last 1' of the downhaul rope (white) to loop around the main halyard (black) and pull it back toward the luff track (see photo).

I found that as the mast would bend due to the wind/sail load, the main halyard was away from the mast below the mast tang and was still snagging the jib battens sometimes so I added the main halyard grip to help keep the main halyard back near the luff track and up against the side of the mast.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It is easy to get the main halyard out of the way but what do you do about the jib halyard?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

Halyard grip...

114 HALYARD GRIP
Keeps those halyards close in to the mast and out of the way so that the jib doesn’t hang up on them. Molded from strong Delrin and contoured to the curve of the
mast. One on each side of the H16 mast does the trick.

https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/Hobie_Sail_August_2020.pdf#page=25

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure that the jib battens are trimmed as short a possible while still being long enough to apply adequate tension. Ideally, you only want the very tip of the batten cap protruding beyond the leech of the sail.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

+1 on main halyard behind shroud and super jib battens. Also trim jib battens down if you can do they don’t stick out more than needed to tension. Those three things fixed it on my boat in all but lightest winds, when I’m probably not out anyway! Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've read that you can use tape, starting about 6" on the sail, wrap around the batten cap, then bock to the other side. I've never done it, but it does seem that when mine hangs, it's usually the edge of the cap that grabs the halyard.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Also, older jib sails seem to be cut differently for less rake and when newer length rigging is used it increases the rake of your mast changing the angle of jib against the mast. This has caused my jib battens to hang up all the time against the mast in lighter winds and on the mid battens, not just the bottom. Always solo, so it is a bit of a pain to stand and reach the third batten to push over.

I'm going to cut the battens down a smidge and see how it performs then,... stay tuned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would love some old salts to weigh-in on this:

I found that attaching the tack to the lowest hole on the chain plate AND attaching the jib sheet to the lowest (foremost) hole in the clew plate gives me no hang-ups whatsoever. It was a night and day difference when I set it up like this!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Seems like that combination would put a lot of sheet tension on the foot of the sail and less load on the leech - that would likely allow the top of the sail to twist open a lot. Are you still able to get the top windward side jib telltail to flow back when sailing close hauled?

sm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Silver Fox wrote:
I would love some old salts to weigh in on this:

I found that attaching the tack to the lowest hole on the chainplate AND attaching the jib sheet to the lowest (foremost) hole in the clew plate gives me no hang-ups whatsoever. It was a night and day difference when I set it up like this!

Tack should be as low as possible on the forestay chainplate. This changes with varying mast rake settings. The lowest position leaves the ability to sheet the jib tightly. Too low and you go block to block without getting enough tension on the jib.

Clew position changes the sail shape. Low pulls more on the foot and opens up the leech. The higher positions on the clew plate pull down the leech and opens the foot. This also closes up the slot (space) between the jib and main... choking the airflow.

The best position on the clew plate is a balance the leaves the leach with the same shape and to match the shape of the main in the slot. You may have to sail the boat sheet the main and then sheet the jib... and get to the lee side to view the slot under sail. This can be done on the beach carefully... as to not sheet and tip the boat over.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)