Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just installed all new grommets plus double grommeted the center section (added new ones in between. About 110 #4 nickel plated brass spur total.)
Need to get new line for lacing. Total length or length of each line (3) ? Also suggestions on line type (material) is appreciated. Thanks, Jim
H16 2008 stock tramp.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I’ll answer my own post. I found a line on eBay that’s a very good price. It’s called UHMwPE rope. The same family as Dyneema and Spectra. Got 100’ of 3/16” diameter for $44. If you add a grommet to each of the forward outboard corners of the trampoline you will need about 70’line. Line is 12 strand single core. Very flexible. UV protected. Strong as steel. It’s the same as my Spectra jib halyard. I would use it there too for a replacement if needed. This line worked out perfectly. I have a very tight tramp now. Ropeusa in Miami,FL Different lengths available. Free shipping. (Made in the USA )
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have acquired four older, 70's early 80's, Hobie 16's The orange hull Hobie has no serial numbers on the rear of hull and it has the v-cleat for main sheet traveler. I believe this to be from the 70's. Only one of the four has a new trampoline which is aftermarket. The stitching failed and the seams started to come apart on this one. I think the other three boats have original tramps that look okay except for the lacing looking quite bad. Is there any concern or advise when stepping the mast to prevent overloading the tramp? The aftermarket tramp failed when walking the mast back down after sailing. Didn't know if good practice is to not walk on this or perhaps limit the size of the person doing this job? Are they rated to support 180 lbs/sq.ft.?

I am curious the reason for adding the extra grommets. Is this to aid in stretching the tramp tighter? I will do some research on my boats to determine how many grommets they have and prepare to replace the lacing. My intention is to use these boats to help my kids and grandkids learn something about boating and sailing. We are only on lakes in North Carolina and northern Alabama so hoping these older boats will still have some life to get them started sailing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

That can be a problem with stitched trampolines. The stitching gets damaged by UV. Old vinyl can also fail if cooked by UV over many years. I always try to place a foot on the aft beam to take some load off the tramp during the most weight-loaded moments of stepping. That is at the start of stepping up and the end of stepping down Your weight and the mast weight is point loaded.

A new stock trampoline can carry much more weight than required to step a mast.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are going to have any stitching on your tramp, you should consider Gore's Tenara Teflon Lifetime thread which is not affected by sun or water.

I agree with Matt on putting your back foot on the aft cross beam when starting to step or finishing to un-step your mast. On my 84H16, I prefer placing my foot just up against the forward side of the main traveler track (mine is riveted onto the top of the cross beam).

I also recommend, after stepping your mast, to clean any sand (from your foot/water shoe) out of the aft crossbeam's traveler track before sailing.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim H16 wrote:
I also recommend, after stepping your mast, to clean any sand (from your foot/water shoe) out of the aft crossbeam's traveler track before sailing.

Solid point...
Were you previously in the Memphis area before FL?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim H14, nice member name and profession.

I have lived the last 20 years in Florida, Panama City Beach and now Clearwater. Prior to that I lived/worked in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC. I grew up sailing on the Chesapeake Bay on the Magothy River in Severna Park and then on the South River in Annapolis, Md.

I also started with an 87 H14T.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim H16 wrote:

Thank you! I think somehow engineers are drawn to sailing...

Quote:
I have lived the last 20 years in Florida, Panama City Beach and now Clearwater. Prior to that I lived/worked in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC.

There used to be a "Tim" in the area with quite a collection of Hobies and I was wondering if it might have been you but obviously not. Nice to meet you, Tim

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Old16&New: For your stated purposes, there will not be much benefit in adding tramp grommets.

Tim H14: I believe you're referring to Tim Grover. Sadly, he is no longer with us. Are you in the Delta Sailing Assn. at Arkabutla? I think there are at least a few folks up there who are somewhat active (including another Tim!).

If you guys are ever heading to the Jackson MS area, give me a heads-up!

{Another (retired) engineer}

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Rattle'n hum: Okay I wasn't inclined to add any additional grommets, just wondered why someone thought this was necessary. I am trying to make all mine identical so it is easy to swap parts when needed. If I can have two operational at any time it will always allow more fun and lead to some competition between the siblings and extended family!
We have an old Scorpion that has been fun for getting everyone acquainted with sailing. I am sometimes curious how hard it is for some to grasp the idea of wind direction. My boats all have lots of rattles and humming noise by the way!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rattle 'n hum wrote:
Tim H14: I believe you're referring to Tim Grover. Sadly, he is no longer with us.

Yes, I was referring to Tim Grover... did he pass away?
Quote:
Are you in the Delta Sailing Assn. at Arkabutla? I think there are at least a few folks up there who are somewhat active (including another Tim!).

I'm a member of DSA but have yet to splash my cat in Arkabutla Lake. I've been waiting on upgrade parts and now busy with other activities.
Quote:
If you guys are ever heading to the Jackson MS area, give me a heads-up!

I'm jealous of Ross Barnett Reservoir and it looks to be great sailing.
I don't travel to Jackson, MS much but am hopeful to drag my cat to the Gulf Coast at some point and maybe attend the Juana Good Time Regatta in late Summer if it still happens.
Quote:
{Another (retired) engineer}
Hopefully in another 10 years or so I can retire and sail more.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Tim passed a year or two ago. When I first started racing it was mostly with the Memphis Fleet on Sardis and Arkabulta....great times! A lot of the guys with older boats just painted the hulls brown instead of fighting the tannins in Arkabutla. We sail out of Ocean Springs YC a lot...it's the place to be! I'm leaving soon on an extended road trip, so I'll miss their summer events this year. We'll be at Juana's, though...hope to meet you there. Randy, Doc, Tim N., John, and of course Damon from the Memphis area are usually in attendance.

(Apologies for the hijack!)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info, Jerome.
Yes, hope to meet you at Juana's in Navarre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tim H14 wrote:
Tim H16 wrote:

Thank you! I think somehow engineers are drawn to sailing...

Quote:
I have lived the last 20 years in Florida, Panama City Beach and now Clearwater. Prior to that I lived/worked in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC.

There used to be a "Tim" in the area with quite a collection of Pokemon Hobies here and I was wondering if it might have been you but obviously not. Nice to meet you, Tim

A collection should be something that you enjoy and that brings you joy. You enjoy showing it out and admiring it. They don't work for everyone, but that is their value. It becomes clutter if it doesn't bring you joy.