Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 Registration
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Every one,
I am new to sailing and to the forum so if this topic is already discussed, please direct me to the proper thread.

But I bought a Hobie 16 last summer on the cheap. I sailed it a few times and this year I discovered a few soft spots. I have been taking care of those and now I am looking to get it registered with the DNR. I made the mistake of not getting a bill of sale, I bought it from a fella in Wisconsin who said he had got it from a old timer down in Prescott, Who was clearing out his property to sell it (meaning selling his property). It had tags from Mn in 1986 on it still, so I do have a old registration number but nothing from it’s time in Wisconsin. I know here in MN we don’t need to have a title for unpowered boats 16ft and under, we just need to be registered and have hull numbers and tags with the DNR, typically good for three years. My problem is no registration card and no bill of sale. I talked to the fella I bought it from but he never registered it. Is a bill of sale from the guy I bought it from going to be enough to get it registered? Or do I need more? Has any one else been threw this? Any help, tips and tricks are appreciated.
Thanks guys,
Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think it is different from state to state. Wisconsin requires a title, as does Illinois. My boats are registered in WI.

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds like a bill of sale is all you need for a sailboat 16' or under. See the following:
https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf

1978 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found this to be very frustrating. I live in North Carolina and they require a bill of sale. Three of the boats I have (early 80's Hobie 16's) were given to me. When I tried to register they would not do it. One of the boats I have was bought from someone in AL and he thought it was funny that I tracked him down to try to get a Notarized BOS. He couldn't believe they wouldn't register it otherwise. I tried three different places. I guess I'll have my neighbors write me bill of sales for the other boats if I ever want them all registered correctly ha ha!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I got it all registered up. Turns out all I needed was a bill of sale, thanks for the info!