Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone successfully trailered their catamaran behind a tall van (sprinter, transit, etc)? In the stock mast cradle positions, my mast does not clear the rear of the van.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You will need to extend the front mast support. I have seen them behind big class A motor homes.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just put the mast on the roof of the RV. If you use the mast supports on the trailer you still risk the mast hitting the RV when you drive from flat to inclined road. If you push the mast far enough back on the trailer so that it cannot hit the RV then it will be sticking way too far out the back (illegal). Then someone hits it and ???
I have seen various mast supports for the RV roof including cut down buckets with notches for the mast to rest. One in the front and one in the rear. Some people put tie downs (eye straps) on the roof of the RV and others just ratchet strap the mast to the RV bumper front and rear.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You need to check the law for your state (or states). In many cases, you will just need to have a red flag or a light on the end of the mast if it overhangs too far past your trailer lights. In that case, you may be able to just slide the mast back until it is behind the rear of your van.

Another possible option would be to extend the length of the trailer tongue or use a hitch extender so that the entire trailer is moved farther away from the van. You just have to be careful with hitch extenders though because they will significantly reduce your allowable trailer weight and tongue load.

sm