Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying help - 1980 H16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey guys,

Im very new to the world of sailing, and after being out on a friends hobie a few times ive decided i want to purchase my own, can someone give me some buying advice on a 1980 Hobie Cat 16? I want to make sure im not getting ripped off here, and it wont be a project boat to maintain!

From the seller:
Enjoy summer at the lake with this beautiful Hobie 16! Everything you need to sail is included. New jib sheets and new hardware have recently been added. Hulls have no soft spots and take on zero water. Main sail and Jib are both in good condition. Even comes with a mast float! Trailer with fully functioning lights, spare tires, and winch also included. We are selling to upgrade to a larger sailboat. Extremely easy to sail and very fast, this boat is great for beginners and experienced sailors alike.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sounds good.....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check the hulls for soft spots especially in front of the front pylons, and open the drains and tilt the boat to see if any water drains. If it looks ok have the seller rig it completely including raising the sails to make sure everything is there and is correct.

I bought a used H17 that the seller said had new standing rigging, and no leakage. First time out, the starboard hull took on probably 10 gallons of water. Third time out, the port side shroud broke, dismasting the boat.

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to jump in and repeat the time-tested advice for any new owner of a used Hobie.

Unless you’re absolutely certain the rigging is new (as in the wires are only 1-2yr old and came from a Hobie dealer or reputable supplier), buy a new set of wires. And if you’ve got a 10+ yr boat, I’d take a good look at the shroud anchor eye bolts and anchor bars. The Hobie 16 is amazingly durable but wires and shroud anchors can and do fail as they age (my 2002 anchor bars had stress cracks in 2017 when I bought it). It’s a relatively small investment that will improve your safety and enjoyment on the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like a reasonable consideration. No price specified so not sure if I would say it is a reasonable purchase. I’ll second the comment on replacing the rigging. I broke a shroud on the first one I bought and didn’t notice any obvious sign of wear. It was a good wind that day I remember.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Always replace the rigging is good advice and not that expensive. The hulls in front of pylons should be pressed firmly to check for soft areas that "give" easily as if without backing.
If rudder assemblies, (no cracked or missing) straight mast, (look for broken step or top sheave) pylons and castings are good (no cracked or pylons that move because of shoe loose in hull) with good condition sail for the year (no tears and battens not missing or torn pockets) and tramp hasn't got rivets pulled from age and use check out, then sounds like a good boat with trailer is a bonus. I've rebuilt two such boats and they sail wonderfully for my recreational use offshore ocean solo.
With a little love, these older boats can be a ton of fun. You'll want to rebuild and tune the rudders to the hulls, snug up the tramp, get new rigging unless the stuff it comes with is less than a couple years old, make sure the blocks work smoothly. Have fun.