Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey all

So, i've been looking around old posts, and i'm sure i'll get the expected response, but i still think it'd be good to ask anyway, is there a good reason to get new standing rigging? I have a 1979 Hobie cat, I filled in all the soft spots and have been sailing it alot. all the pins look straight, we had a cable snap, the jib hallyard, but it broke because it was rusted through. Afterwards we checked all the rigging, and it appears perfect. We went out today in 25 - 30 mph winds, and had no issues whatsoever, and this would be the 4th time going out in that much wind....

if i keep an eye on the rigging, and notice no changes, do i have to replace them soon>? (it's also a bit expensive for a senior in high school)

thanks!~

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You won't notice any changes until it's too late.

What would you rather buy? New wires or . . .

A new mast / sail / battens / other broken bits when the rig comes down?

The jib halyard was a warning.

Your call.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

what about if i made my own wires? My local hardware store has all the components, then ordered the official pins, would that work as well? because i don't have the cash for new wires from hobie

update, looked for the "pins" online, can't find the part number, could someone help out with this?...can't order without that...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I demasted this summer due to a similar outlook on the situation. It was really more uneventful than I would have thought. Starboard shroud aside, It snapped a jib car-base which was a cheap repair ($10). Maybe I was lucky.

Demasting aside, I plan on checking the rigging twice really well a year and not replacing anything until I see wear.

How did you check the rigging? My hobie dealer showed me the proper way after I bought new wires. (Thanks Select Sail) Twist the wires in the reverse way they are wound and look for broken/worn ends. When they break, (most often) it is near the top between swedges so spend some extra time there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds, was that an '84? the pinstriping looks familiar...

I bought all new hobie standing rigging for my '84, even though I had a full set from my (delaminated-crashed and trashed) '79. IMO, it was insurance. I still trusted my old rigging perfectly, and I still have it as backups in case in some ODD occurance, my NEW wires break... However, I've read to replace them every 5 years. I also was told about twisting them in the reverse to see how easily they come apart.

My 2 cents is, rigging is cheaper than a mast, tramp, sail, hull, or life if it comes apart at the wrong time. Thats why I bought new.

I'm sure I'll get swamped for this, but saltydogmarine.com has full hobie wire/rope sets for about half what Hobie dealers charge... The reason my local dealer sells the Hobie made parts (Thanks Mariner Sails) is because they don't want the liability from making their own, even though they can, and do... I had them swag me a forestay for my Venture 17 (from an old hobie side stay, actually...lol there's recycling for you...)

If you made them yourself, use stainless, not galvanized, and use a swag tool, don't rely on screw type clamps. But, I'd rather buy them from a reputable seller personally.

Aquaterra Kayak
1 Rubber Ducky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thanks for all the replies!

that's a good idea, to twist the lines. I'll do that before i sail next time.

I'll definitely look into replacing the rigging, especially if i can find a good price. However, if the wires really seem perfect... then i'll wait, but if there are any flaws, obviously i'll replace.

how should i check the pins? what condition are they considered safe?, reputable seller is probably a good idea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bassie1234567 wrote:
what about if i made my own wires? My local hardware store has all the components...

They really don't have the right parts unless they have a calibrated swage tool and a qualified operator.

Do a forum search and read all of the rigging posts. Then search for 'anchor pins', and read all of those.

Falling masts usually rip sails, bend crossbars, and can hurt people. New rigging before it breaks is waaay less expensive.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

ajsemtb wrote:
MBounds, was that an '84? the pinstriping looks familiar...

I'm not sure what year the boat is, but you're in the ballpark. Thing is, he had new sails, a new tramp, new EPO rudders . . . but he didn't replace his wires and he paid for it.

He was also singlehanding and flipped in the previous race. That's when we found out he didn't have a way to right the boat himself. I was the Principal Race Officer for that event and I wasn't happy.

Even in a racing situation like that, when you become a rescue subject, you're a drain on resources. Because I had mark boats helping him, I couldn't manage the race course (reset finish line, move marks). He was taking away resources from the other 30 racers because he wasn't properly prepared.

Think about that the next time you go out in a patched together, ill-maintained boat. Whose resources are you going to take when you become the subject of a rescue?

I've stopped responding to the posts of people that want to cobble their boats together with chicken wire and duct tape just so they can go sailing. It's selfish and unsafe. OK, rant over.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:18 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Our very own Chris Wessels bought a used wave from me for MWE last year, I gave him new rigging, he was to lazy to put it on because the old looked fine and was only a few years old. He was the 1st boat off the line then snap down came the rig!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ordering new pins and shrouds... wasn't quite as expensive as expected (aprox 170$, instead of 200 or so) shrouds from saltydogmarine are decent?

thanks to everyone for advice! gonna make a sailing trip in november and don't want to end up doing all that driving for nothing!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:46 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Salty Dog Marine isn't a Hobie dealer so there not Hobie OEM shrouds, I am sure they are still decent those guys haven been around forever.
Did you check prices with an Authorized dealer to see what the savings were?

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MBounds wrote:
He was also singlehanding and flipped in the previous race. That's when we found out he didn't have a way to right the boat himself. I was the Principal Race Officer for that event and I wasn't happy.

What's race legal for righting aids? I thought you couldn't use anything for racing but a righting line.

Thanks,
Kent
'88H16 91521

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

no idea, and speaking of class legal, would the lines prevent me from racing? also i have an aftermarket tramp (next one will be hobie!...) does that keep me from races?

and with a 79 boat, the mast isn't the new style with the carbon fiber top. what are the rules about those/how much is it to upgrade?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

KentHobie wrote:
MBounds wrote:

What's race legal for righting aids? I thought you couldn't use anything for racing but a righting line.

Thanks,
Kent
'88H16 91521

He was single handing and light, he wasn't class legal to begin with. There were a wide variety of boats racing in the event - all on handicap.

In one-design HCA races, you need to have a 285# minimum crew weight, of which a maximum of 50# can be dead weight (fixed to the boat).

Righting aids are usually not necessary in one-design racing. No racers I know of carry a water bag, a righting pole or shroud extenders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

bassie1234567 wrote:
no idea, and speaking of class legal, would the lines prevent me from racing? also i have an aftermarket tramp (next one will be hobie!...) does that keep me from races?

and with a 79 boat, the mast isn't the new style with the carbon fiber top. what are the rules about those/how much is it to upgrade?

Wires, no problem.

Trampoline, problem - but it's a '79 and nobody's going to give you much notice. Racers tend to give the newbies and old boats some slack.

Comptip (it's fiberglass, not carbon). You get one "free ride" - one regatta without doing the conversion. Dealers are encouraged by Hobie Cat to sell the Comptip at cost for first-time conversion. It's still a few hundred $. Again, newbies and old boats tend to get more slack, but if you start winning, then the slack goes away really quick.