Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Righting a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Two weeks ago, while my daughter was taking her nap (no accusations of child abuse please!) I took the Hobie out for another sail. My daughter and I had been out earlier in the morning and I just wanted to get out one more time before putting the sails away.

Anywho--the sailing was great until a gust took the boat over. I had my righting line ready and got into position but, as hard as I tried, I could not right the boat. Fortunately, a fisherman came by after about 15 minutes and pulled me over.

This was the first time I had flipped the boat (even in NW Florida, the water is still chilly) and while I have no fear of water or swimming for that matter, I would like a quicker solution to getting underway again than swimming to shore and launching my fishing boat...

My question is--is there anything, equipment, strategery etc., that I can use to get the leverage to right a Hobie 16? I weigh 180 pounds and am in good physical condition but it simply wasn't enough to get the boat righted. I have heard a mast float would be helpful. Any other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Righting a Hobie 16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yea you can get a system that uses a water bag ,that you hang off your back and gives you enough weight. Check Murray's marine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A mast float bob wont help you right it, it will help prevent a turtle however. Get a righting bag, there are some in the Hobie catalog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Yes, righting bag for additional righting weight.

Also review the system for righting. Getting the mast / bows into the wind to get air under the main for lift.

From the catalog "tech tip":

Righting your hobie On that reach...flying through the air and water then...WHAM!!! Your Hobie Cat has forced
you to swim instead of sail. Not really what you had in mind? if you have planned ahead you will be up and sailing again
quickly. Whether sailing single handed or with a few friends, righting your boat can be quick and easy...
First, preventing your mast from becoming one with the bottom, or “turtling” is a priority. We at Hobie have designed mast
floats to help keep your Hobie Cat from becoming a ‘mudhen’. The floats attach to the top of your mast and will prevent the
mast tip from sinking.

The next objective will be to get back to sailing! Righting systems vary a bit, but the theory is the same. A line is attached to
your Hobie, thrown over the hull in the air and then weight (yours and or your friends) is used to lever the boat back to an
upright and sailable position.

After you have checked that everyone is OK, turn your hulls and mast into the wind (see diagram) and uncleat your sails. You
and your friend now need to congregate on the hull that is in the water. Grab the righting line, lean away from the trampoline
and get as close to the water as you can. Try to stay out of the water. If you don’t have enough body weight to right the cat we
have the Righting Bucket! Just attach it to the boat, with the hook that is provided, throw over the upper hull and fill the bucket
with water! With the bucket strap over your shoulder, lean your weight out from the boat. The bag comes clear of the water
and up the cat will come!! Grab the dolphin striker or crossbar as it comes up, climb aboard, sheet in and GO!
Tipping your Hobie over can be a great way to cool off and enjoy the water... try it! It’s excellent practice for when you weren’t
planning to go for a swim but your Hobie decided that you needed to cool off!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is one thing that can help if you are alone. With the boat at a 45 degree angle to the wind as pictured in Matt's post, move the jib traveler on the "down" side all the way down. Pull the jib sheet tight ahead of the cam cleat. This will pull the jib clew down to the traveler and trap air in the jib to help lift the mast. The reason you pull it tight ahead of the cam cleat is so the jib will be uncleated when you let the line go (as the boat comes up). I saw this suggestion in an old edition of the Hobie Hotline many years ago. I only had to use it once and it did work.