Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay so I'm getting down the technique for getting out on the wire but now I ask myself... how do you adjust the traveler and the mainsheet and steer while out there? Seems if I bring out enough of the mainsheet to adjust it and the traveler then it keeps wanting to fall down and drag in the water. So what do y'all do? Just adjust the mainsheet and leave the traveler alone or what?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went out last weekend in heavy winds. It was a real pain in the ass. Keep your footing, hold on to the mainsheet, keep on course. All this while hiking out, aint an easy task!!!

You are not alone.

This is going to be hard to explain. For this explanation lets assume you are hiking out on a PORT TACK.

When hiking out, grab the mainsheet and put it over your left arm, and IN FRONT of the trap wire (confused?).

Hook your harness, and slowly start your hike out.

Use your right arm to hold the tiller extension.

The mainsheet will in be on the FOWARD side of the trap wire, this will prevent it from falling in the water. Keep the rest of the slack tucked away in the foot straps on the tramp.

hope this helps somewhat. Its kinda hard to explain, but it worked out good for me. The conditions were double trapping, and we still couldnt hold the boat down. It was hella FUN!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:12 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I get hooked up
extend the hiking stick
Set my traveler, which is normally already set!
grab hold of the mainsheet line
drop my butt off the side
put either foot on the cross bar and push out

once I am out on the wire, keep the mainsheet tight in your front hand
throw the extra sheet line back on the tramp to keep it out of the water

It is nice to have a hiking stick that is long enough you can hold it under your arm and use both hands to get your mainsheet situated.

Hope this helps, I learned to trap while my dad sailed and I got comfortable on the wire, getting in and out, then I practiced staying while I was at the helm but w/o the mainsheet, then finally I got it all and have never looked back!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad said " throw the extra sheet line back on the tramp to keep it out of the water"
I would like to add- if you are in heavy conditions- throw the extra sheet line back on the tramp to keep it out of the water- throw the extra sheet line back on the tramp to keep it out of the water- throw the extra sheet line back on the tramp to keep it out of the water .... :lol: Without a crew, it's up to you. Oh yeah, don't forget the line that escapes through the lacing- which is another good reason to double-grommet the center of the tramp- making smaller spaces for the sheet to get through.

Also Jim- I don't know why you are messing with the traveler while you're out. While not impossible, it is not really necessary. Yes, as you asked- Set it and forget it :wink:

The boat looks good !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Okay so what I'm getting is "throw the extra sheet back to keep it out of the water." Check.
Also - don't bother with the traveler while on the wire. Check.

Now, here's a crazy question... we want to fly the hull so it's just barely skimming the water to reduce the water resistance by 50% but keep the "down" rudder as vertical as possible, right? So... anyone consider trapping out on the LEEWARD side in light air to get a hull up? :dunno:

Re: looking good - I'm hoping to get someone to take a new picture of me before the season's over. :)

Jim

"A little crazy but with big balls."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="JaimeZXv.2"] So... anyone consider trapping out on the LEEWARD side in light air to get a hull up? :dunno:
[quote]
I would not trap out on the leeward side, cause then the crewmember would just be in the water.

When in light wind, we do sit on the leeward side. Not to fly the windward hull, but to give the sail a better shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:16 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Managing the traveller and the sheet while driving from the wire is not that difficult.

Just see your favorite doctor (mine's named "Frankenstein") and have him put on a third arm :wink:

Relistically, you don't need to mess with the traveller that much. If you're out on the wire and have to dump the main more than a couple of times to keep the hull from flying too much, you need to travel out.

Racers usually have the crew handle the main traveller. They're also good for getting the sheet out of the water.

The technique I used on the 17 (no crew) was to pile the loose mainsheet on my chest, just above the trapeze hook. The part leading back to the traveller is laid across your forward leg. When you need it, you cleat the sheet, pick up the line, adjust the traveller, cleat it, then hold the sheet tight again.

Post subject: Keep it SHORT!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sometimes the obvious is hard to see! Before you put the boat in the water just push out your boom as far as it will go (to hit the shroud) and add a little extra main-sheet and TIE UP THE REST to centre tramp. Forget about the traveler - just set it for conditions unless you're a fussy racer. Then you can concentrate on that lee-hull instead of constantly chasing the rope! Works fine for me and while out on the wire there's only enough excess rope to occasionally kiss the water between your legs. Just be sure not to leave it TOO short, otherwise...OOOps...! :oops: John in Australia