Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey everyone,
I have a blue 87 h16 I want to paint. The vinyl has just been removed, what do I do now!!!??? :shock:
----There are several fiberglass repairs that need to be done so question 1) How do I do this? 2) Do I sand the entire boat before the fiberglass repair or after?
----My next question has to deal with the sanding process.....3) What grit sand paper do I use?
----Last question, what kind of primer should I use?

Hopefully someone out there can help me! If possible I would like to be able to get all of my supplies from Walmart or a local hardware store. Thanks!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Regarding the fiberglass repairs, there are a number of other threads that have details on this, but even so it'd be helpful to know the details of your situation.

As far as painting is concerned, the expert on that is going to be Robi, who just finished with a beautiful paint job on his boat. ( Ref: http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1059 )

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, your right I've read a couple and I'm well on my way. Also I went out and bought a fiberglass repair kit at my local Ace Hardware store, and it had some instructions on it that helped me out (I'll be more than happy to post them if anyone wants them).

As for the painting question I'm going to post another thread in hopes of more people seeing it. You the man Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Matt,
Another source that is often referenced for painting and repair- also a great source for boating stuff like tools, line, block and tackle - is West Marine. They have a system of epoxy paint and repair that is unique to them - they call it the West System I have always had great results fairing hulls and keels, repairing dings and holes, or "just" removing blisters from a 30 foot Catalina using their stuff.

Have fun ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Actually, West Marine just sells the stuff. They don't have anything to do with the manufacturing.

It's W.E.S.T. System - Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique

Developed by the Gougeon Brothers in Bay City, Michigan

http://www.westsystem.com/

Great stuff - I've used it for over 25 years. Built an International Moth with it:

and my current sailbox. It yellows badly when exposed to sunlight, so I generally don't use it to repair my boats. (Used it to glue my 14 together, though.)