Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just took my 16 out for its first voyage, have always fancied one and one came up for sail at my local club at a very good price. Flipping heck there fast!!! and the humming noise the rudders make when you're powering up, fantastic. i will be needing a new jib soon, hopefully not till next season, i think i have the old style, as its a lot larger than the jibs on the other 16's i see whizzing about, it clonks on the mast abit but i quite like the extra sail area (might be me, it could be the same size) but does anyone know the difference and if they still make that early spec of jib, as i would like to replace it with the same sail. I remember reading a thread on this site about them but im buggered if i can find it!!

many thanks

James

Post subject: Jibs...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Jibs...

There would be little difference in the look of an older jib to current. Perhaps boats you are ssing have what we call a "Recreational" jib without battens or something custom. Standard 16 jibs have 4 battens and overlap the mast... always have.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As a follow up to the last question I sailed my used 16 for the first time the past weekend and found that the Jib hits the Main Mast when coming about as it appears wider than the space. Is that correct or have I rigged this wrong? I also have 2 other questions: Under FAQ it is stated that the Jib rigging actually acts as the support for the main mast, can you sail it without the JIb? and on the bottom of the boom there is a small size harness and pulley set up (sorry I am not using correct jargon I am still learning) that points back toward the main mast, where does this connect to? I have the manual on assembling the Hobie but it shows nothing like this little rigging at all.
Thanks Ken in Canada (finally warm enough to sail up here!)