Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy to all! I'm a non sailor that has decided to learn to sail....at the ripe old age of 50. (no, it's not a mid life crisis thing :wink: ). For the past 35 years I have been very active with motorcycles as a passion / hobby. mostly Jap bikes until about 4 years ago when I bought a new Moto Guzzi. (a phenomenal bike for any riders out there). I do a fair amount of long(er) solo distance riding, and decided to look into a sport that my wife and I can pursue together. She doesn't ride with me too often...she says it's uncomfortable and she doesn't enjoy being scared shizitless on a regular basis. Anyway, we live in the Finger Lakes area of NY, and getting into boating seemed like a natural thing to do. I started looking at powerboats and found a few that I really liked. I couldn't pull the switch and buy one because there was a little voice in my head (not the usual voices) telling me to hold off. Upon further reflection, I discovered I wasn't too enthusiastic about getting into a sport that relied so heavily on fossil fuels, especially since oil futures for December are already hovering around $80 / barrel. Also, where's the challenge? Any yahoo can write a check and buy a bada$$ boat....I discussed my thoughts on the subject with my wife, and, reluctantly at first, she has agreed that this is the course we should take. My only experience with HC's is from spring break trips in the 70's, and that only consists of seeing dozens of these boats flying all over the ocean. Damn, it looked like a blast. So here's our plan: we are not going to buy a boat until the offseason / early spring. Sign up for sailing lessons; either group or private. Use the remaining season to get into better shape (I'm going to have to quit the cigs :twisted: ), sign up for open swim night at the school (especially for me, I'm NOT a very competent swimmer..it's more a case of survival). I have checked out 3 books from the local library and currently reading "the Complete Beginner's Guide to Sailing" by A.H. Drummond, C 1971. Thankfully this book has a good glossary or I may as well be reading Latin. I have also ordered "The Hobie Cat Sailor" by Jake Grubb; Catamaran Sailing From Start to Finish" by Phil Bergmen; and "Sailing Fundamentals" by Gary Jobson. And I have discovedred, and joined, this site. I am in the process of reading all posts and slowly picking up some very helpful information. I probably won't be posting too often until I actually start capsizing the boat when I get it, but I will certainly be lurking in the shadows. BTW, this site has a good feel to it. In fact, it's as good as the Moto Guzzi owners bb that I have been on the past four years. Same kind of people: passionate about their sport, willing to help, and a hell of a lot of fun. thanks in advance for any help I receive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it certainly sounds like you're on the right track! Welcome to the club buddy!

:)

Jim

Post subject: Welcome aboard
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too decided to take up sailing so I and wife can share quality time together. Like you, motorcycles have been in my life for 30 years, ( now an avid BMW rider), but we took the plunge and bought a Cal 25 and borrowed a friends Hobie 16 for the back yard(lower Catskills).

We have taken two classes with Jworld this year and am heading to Newport for our third at the end of the month. I highly recommend Jworld as it truly is the best way to learn the ropes (pun intended) while meeting other new sailors.

Best of luck and enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think we've made the right choice in choosing sailing. I've always needed to challenge myself, and at 50 years of age, I think this sport can keep me busy for quite a few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard! Keep reading the posts and you'll find catamaran sailing is rarely dull and on almost every outing one learns a new lesson - the hard way - and the learning never ends. Capsizing or pitchpoling (aka "endo" for you motorcycle riders) a cat brings an eerie combination of terror and excitement, not to mention the potential for minor injury. If you enjoy the thrill of motorcycles then you'll find cats to have much of the same. You may want to test ride the Hobie 18 as well as the 16 (I can't speak for the 17). As for conditioning, mainly you'll need hand and arm strength for the main sheet. Brush up on some swimming skills, but not much since you WILL be wearing a lifevest. Then get ready for the most intense small boat sailing you'll ever do.

Stay funky.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also sail the finger lakes, my H17 "lives" in Watkins Glen but sails Cayuga and Keuka as well as Seneca when I get the time.

As always, I recommend Jaime ZX's posts for repair needs. Be sure to access his website. I don't think that he's doing a lot of sailing in Quatar so I, for one, pray for his safety. He has been very helpful to many on this site.

The books you chose are exactly what I would have recommended! Good choice. You might also want to refer to a book titled "What's A Hoy?" just for fun as you become more immersed in the vagaries of an arcane lanquage where the front is not the front and the back is not the back, nor left actually left or right still right. :roll:

I also agree with Skipshot (NOT to be confused with Slipknot ? :twisted: ) about the relationship of having fun to possible injuries received. My wife and I had a saying "how do we know we're having fun if we don't have any bruises?" :) The biggest difference is that hitting the water is a lot different than getting road-rashed... or crashing into a ravine or trees or whatever used to happen when I went too fast off road. I would also like to repeat the message that you WILL be wearing a life vest so take time to pick out one that is most comfortable for your needs and the movement around the boat. Don't pick one that rides up in the back and catches on stuff, or one that rides up in front so you look like you have no neck...

50 is a good age by the way. I was there a couple years ago. :oops:

Welcome aboard 8)