Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: revision timeline
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up an '81 last week.

While reading about these boats, I keep seeing mentions of "old style this" and "new style that".

Is there a chart or timeline that notes where the changes were made?

What's a "gotta get it" revision for my '81?

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just got a 2005. Everyone wants to see pictures, so I really do need to get these taken.

Not sure what was on the 81's, but for racing here is what I like on my 05 vs 75.

COMPTIP (Required)
Adjustable Hobie 20 style Tiller Connectors
2 to one downhaul (Makes a ton of difference) (Now I just need to upgrade to the 3 to 1)
J&H handle trapeeze system with bullet block (Again LOVE these Things)
Integrated Travelers, with ball bearings (YEAH BABY!! No More kung fu moves to try and get the travler over when you tack!)
Adjustable jib cars (Are setup so you can adjust them out on the trap, etc) (MY CREW HATES THIS, because I love to play with them)
6:1 Mainsheet... (If you have the old style 2 blocks on the boom setup, GET THIS... Great for heavy wind sailing!)

Congrats on the new boat! Hope to see you out on the race course.

Brent
H-16 S# 13566

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,

Congrats on your new purchase. I currently sail an 18, but I had an '86 16 for 5 years before I moved up. I live in Annapolis (just recently moved here) and am looking for a few good places to launch. I have only found one so far, Sandy Point Beach. I would be glad to meet you somewhere and go over your 16 with you. The next time we have a day like this past Saturday maybe meet for a sail.

All of the upgrades Brent mentioned are great for racing. I put all but the integrated tracks on my '86 H16, too much money for a non-racing boat.

If you are not racing I wouldn't worry about the comptip. Just avoid running the mast into power lines and you will be OK. The rest of the upgrades mentioned in order of importance (per my opionion for non-racers)

1) Tiller connector upgrade. The rudders feel more solid, are easier to adjust, and this makes trailering much easier.
2) 6:1 Mainsheet. After a long windy day the benifits of this are very obvious.
3) J&H trap handles. I can show you how to make the same adjustable setup for less than the complete package cost.
4) Adjustable jib cars. Some arrangements are fairly inexpensive and the fine tuning ability is nice.
5) Finally, if you have lots of money burning a hole in your pocket, go for the integrated tracks in the cross beams. My preference would be to invest in new sails before I would change the cross beams.

Enjoy the new boat and maybe I'll see you on the Bay.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just picked up an '81 16 and feel the same way. You should go to www.hobie.com and order a free catalog, then you'll know what the other guys are talking about. I got one and started drooling at all the cool stuff. But beware, you may get new boat-envy instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just update my '83 (which I've had since new) when things break or wear out! Hopefully this weekend she'll get new low-pro jib cars and an Aussie jib halyard! I got the parts, but free time in my work's busy season is better spent sailing :lol: AND... the 14's rigged and ready to sail!-Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tips. I'll have to get some water under me and see what falls off!

I hope it's windy this weekend.