Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm going to make a "box" this week. Headed to Home Depot to buy a sheet of particle board for the bottom and ends because it's cheap and a nice smooth surface for sliding stuff in and out. I'm going to put vertical 2x6's on each side and front, open at back. Then one of those green plastic roofing sheets that is like 26" wide and 10 or 12 feet long to attach to the outside of the 2x6's and form a semicircular top. I'll fill in the blanks as I go, as far as attaching to the trailer and the door. A little liquid nails and house paint and that's it. I'm looking to keep the weather off my sails in transit and at the storage yard. You know, if someone really wants my stuff they can break into anything and that big diameter pipe is heavy. Besides with a rusty old 1973 Dilly trailer I wouldn't want anything looking too good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be careful with the particle board. That is just a big heavy sponge. If you use a boat ramp or it gets rained on wrong you're going to have some 2x6s and plastic attached to a pile of mush. :shock:

I'd get plywood instead.

Jim

Post subject: Sail Tube
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I made mine out of 10 inch sewage pipe. It comes in 14 foot lengths. I cut my down to 11 feet and it left plenty of room. The pipe was about $80 but the real killer was the end caps. They are $45 each. I left the gasket in one end and sealed it up. The other, I removed the rubber gasket and attached stainless hasps and a lock.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where did you find sewer pipe at? Plumbing wholesale? Contractor? I don't know where to begin looking. Thanks

Post subject: Sail Tube
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You need to find a plumbing store, Home Depot or Lowe's will not work. Check your yellow pages. The stuff I used is the samge mint green stuff you see laying around at all new construction sites.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tjp wrote:
I still like the simplicity of a tube, but not the expense that it it sounding like.

Anyone know how much corrugated plastic drainage pipe is? It's perfectly strong enough for the use, wouldn't be too hard to cap with plywood, and can't possibly be that expensive since it's not made to withstand any sort of pressure.

A guy that stores his 16 where I do recently showed up with exactly what you are talking about. It is really a large diameter black tube, but he managed to mount it on the trailer. He seemed to find matching end caps, and they look great.

I have a PVC sailholder on my trailer that the former owner had purchased. One end is stationary ( a cap epoxied shut), and the other end is a shove-on cap with a stainless hunk of round bar that goes thru matching holes in the cap and tube. The stainless roundbar has a stop on one end and a hole drilled in the protruding end which allows for a small padlock - it works great.

Post subject: 12" drainage pipe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I bought a piece of 12" corrugated, double walled, black plastic drain pipe. It's smooth on the inside so my sail bag will slide in easly and it's ribbed on the outside and easy to bungee to the trailer. I bought 2 end caps, sealed up one on the front and take off the one on back for access. It cost me $78.00 at a pipe supply co.

TO help keep it cool, I painted it with white plasic paint

Buxton

Post subject: cheap sail box
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I thought i saw this idea here: Ive modified it a bit Starting with an old wooden ladder ( the tall ones cut down to 10 `) a 4x8 sheet of some quarter inch wood at Lowes ($13) Use the wood to cover the rungs of the ladder.... one 10 ` piece of corregated tin..its 24" wide. cover the ladder with that to make a half circle.. i used drywall screws to screw it into the ladder ($18) and some used 3/4 in plywood to make end caps. i actually traced the waves of the tin and made one piece of ply to fit into the end of the half circle and another to make a stop. My sheets fit, the boom and 2 10 pieces of 1/2 inch conduit that has a screw in 8 in from the top. I use it to hold the mast up to step it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How rigid is teh corrugated drain pipe? Did you need to add any cross braces to rest it on? So far this sounds like the most economical way to go. The idea of painting it not only keeps it cool, but keeps it from degrading in the sun. Most plastics don't get along well with UV. Especially pipes designed to go underground.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO