Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooler holder
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last week I saw a 16 with a holder for a small cooler. It hung down forward of the mast and was black roundbar type material. I didn't have time to ask the owner if he bought it or made it before he sailed off (right as my wife pointed it out to me). Has anyone seen something like this? Sure would be handy.
Thanks, the new guy.
(I just registered. Got an '84 16 last week and am a newbie to sailing).
:D

Post subject: Cooler Rack
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Murrys, They used to carry two of them. One to fit a Igloo Playmate and the other a Little Playmate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks alot. I didn't know about Murray's. I ordered a free catalog. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I installed 4" ports in my H16 and stuffed a soft sided cooler in each port. This way I could take my food and drink with me even in rough water and not worry about it getting yanked off the boat. It takes a little work to get the cooler in there, but I thought it was well worth it. Don't expect to get more than one season out of the cooler. I find them for around $10 at Target or Wal-Mart.

The ports also allow you to get a look inside the hulls and help in drying them out.

Plus, the boat doesn't look as cool with a cooler hanging off the front of the tramp.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, got my Murrays catalog and no cooler holder is shown. Anymore ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can always creatively bungie the cooler to the front crossbeam and dolphin stiker.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Cooler Holder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been on the same search and think I have found the answer. The best that I can determine, it is not a cooler holder you saw. If it is like the one at my club, it is a stiff wire frame that bolts up to the Dolphine Striker.

Check out the Hobie catalog. People are using it as a cooler holder but it is really the battery holder for the electric motor attachment Hobie sells.

I would love to get my hands on one for the same reason as you. I have found that straping the cooler around one of the front pilons and resting it on the hull works pretty well.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep your eye on E-Bay I see them there once in a while. I have one The Up/down side to it. Ice chest installed Is that It creats a Tramp wash effect on Reaches in any waves. which can be a cool If the water temp is above 70 and will slow you down. It also catches the Jib Sheets If your crew is learning. And in any wind it will have some preasure on it to get it free. But manageable with sheetolgy.

Todd C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The catalog doesn't show a wire type battery holder anymore. I think they quit making that type. The current battery holder and box that is shown in the latest Hobie catalog is $185...ouch. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had one on my hobie and it took alot of abuse punching through the waves and in rough seas. We would get most of salt spray by the waves hitting the cooler. It got very rusty and I took it off. I f you still want one, my thought would be to take an igloo and bolt through the cooler to the doliphin striker attaching to all three bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cooler wouldn't be very portable if it was bolted to the boat though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

True, but thats what I was going to do or you could make one out of a piece of alum sheet like the battery box or use 1/4 inch metal stock like the origianl cat cooler. I still have my old one, I kept it in case I ever wanted to refabricate one. The soft cooler bags are great nowdays

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Nick wrote:
I installed 4" ports in my H16 and stuffed a soft sided cooler in each port. This way I could take my food and drink with me even in rough water and not worry about it getting yanked off the boat. It takes a little work to get the cooler in there, but I thought it was well worth it. Don't expect to get more than one season out of the cooler. I find them for around $10 at Target or Wal-Mart.

The ports also allow you to get a look inside the hulls and help in drying them out.

Plus, the boat doesn't look as cool with a cooler hanging off the front of the tramp.

:lol:

Hey gang, listen to Nick - I never thought of stuffing a soft cooler thru the hatch- but I do know that a FAT CAT BAG from the Hobie catalog and a five inch port also from the Hobie catalog can hold a LOT of oat sodas and ice. And if you put in 4 total (bow and stern on each side) you have a regular party going on!! 8) Hanging stuff around the Hobie is just asking for something to fall off. Besides, if you sail through the ocean surf you REALLY DON"T want any resistance on the striker. A cooler on the striker hit by a head on wave can flip a boat over on it's backside, break a rudder and rip off a gudgeon. Don't ask how I know this :roll:

The hatches, when removed, also allow great airflow through the hull when you are towing it. Remember, a dry hull is a fast hull 8) Besides they're easy to install - if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it :oops:

Sail smarter, not harder -
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just heard from a buddy of mine who made his own insualted fat bag. Now that's the way to go. Stuffing the cooler in the hull works but it is hard to get out. The insulated cat bag is a nice way to go. I think I found my indoor project for the winter... 8)

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Re: Cooler Holder
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Justin Dean wrote:
I have been on the same search and think I have found the answer. The best that I can determine, it is not a cooler holder you saw. If it is like the one at my club, it is a stiff wire frame that bolts up to the Dolphine Striker.

Check out the Hobie catalog. People are using it as a cooler holder but it is really the battery holder for the electric motor attachment Hobie sells.

I would love to get my hands on one for the same reason as you. I have found that straping the cooler around one of the front pilons and resting it on the hull works pretty well.

JD
Bingo! My 16 came with one on it and a Cheatah mount on the stern. I of course have never used the Cheatah, but have used the battery holder for a cooler since day one.