Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ah... could this be... WEIRD non direct mounting of block to allow mast rotation?

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthre ... mber=32094

Quote:
The idea behind that spinnaker halyard rigging is that your mast is freely allowed to rotate even with the spinnaker up because your halyard pully slides around the side on the piece of Amsteel. On my 6.0, I have a tang (eyelet) from which my spin halyard pulley is mounted directly to like you are asking about. It certainly works but with the spinnaker up I have to induce positive rotation in the mast (you probably only have a rotation limiter). This setup you have, while requiring some maintenance, is superior. Those that I have seen like yours, however, have the piece of Amsteel drilled through into the luff track instead of internally in the mast making replacement much easier. There is usually enough room for a small knot behind the bolt rope of the sail.

If this is the reason, I can come up with a better way to allow the block to rotate from side to side of the mast.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rojoyinc: Check your PMs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:35 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, it is just one of those things that doesn't get finished... plenty more low hanging fruit to work on. I have never installed one of these French kits and don't have one here in the US that is installed to get any photos.

The tang is certainly simple and it works. Just place 4.5' above the shroud tang and measure that shackle hole to shackle hole. The placement is not clearly shown in the sketch (in my opinion, not sure who wrote that). Shackle hole placement should be on same line as the hoop / loop to place loads and full hoist at the same location.

The hoop allows the mast to rotate more freely when the spinnaker is loaded. The tang, forcing the load centered, could cause the mast to counter rotate, so the function is actually better.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This might be of limited help. Pause it on Step 4 and 5 and take a look at the pics.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmckx-DuQt0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I don't understand "don't have time" it would take an hour. Or offer someone to do it (end user) and give them 200.00 in hobie credit from a dealer for their work. I spent 20 minutes tweaking the diagram.

I'm impressed with how helpful the members have been. MOSTLY via email because it's such a pain in the arse to post photos to this outdated forum software.

The bad part of email help is - it helps one person. (me) and when the next 5-10-20 people come here looking to possibly add a spin system... they won't find what they need to answer questions and they'll put off the purchase for another year or 10... as I have.

The purpose of such a forum is to address problems that one may have first, so that the many can benefit from the initial posters problem. That isn't happening on this forum as it's to hard to post photos.

Anyway - the video above I had watched 10 times when I first ordered the spin, it wasn't of much help because it's big on unnecessary FX and low on wide shots to show details. (like a video to track along the lines, rather than still shots) The "mast rotating line" (I suspect is spectra?) was confusion to me in that video until this re-viewing... which only made sense because of the members help via email.

Also this diagram was throwing me because the sheet line was running seemingly UNDER the stuffer bag and pole. I tweaked it - moving that line above... added the original bridle, and color coded and cleaned up some of the confusing runs (under over etc). I still have the TANG wrong. I now show it direct to tang, when we need to allow the mast to rotate.

However I don't believe I have room in my 16 sail track to drill without hitting extrusion and allowing for that cord and knot to be in the track and still allow the sail to raise unobstructed. I may have to do something else. THOUGH understanding that this (mess) is to allow mast rotation helps! It allows me to address the situation rather than following confusing direction with no reason for doing the madness. I feel pretty confident in my knowledge as to how to proceed at this point. As a pro photographer - (35 years) I'll try to document the details as well.

My clean up - but still needs TANG tweaked... I'll do that once I figure out how to install my own on the non comp tip mast.

Last edited by Rojoyinc on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also see some confusion still. the main line runs through a loop on the forward cross bar and through the cleat.
I wonder if the loop should be inside the cleat - (swapping them?) so that the lanyard runs closer to the mast.

Also I see that the line is drawm from loop up around BEHIND the mast to the top of the mast... that would be weird and impossible with the mail sail up. so that needs to show it stays in the starboard side of the mast and boat.
Most confusing for me was the sheet line was drawn under the snuffer bag and pole... I moved it to the top but above the bridle and outside of the forestay.
As original showed - it would be impossible to use the sheet line and made no sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is an article from On the Wire. It doesn't contain much information but may be an interesting read for you.

Installing a Spinnaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When it's convenient Ron, call me. My number is at the bottom of my email page.

David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dave I don't use phones or even own one. (phone phobia) it started back when I started my business and everyone else handles my phone calls. I haven't touched a phone in over a decade. I despise them and my life is all run via email, facebook and other text.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ron, wish I could do that. I'm in the IT industry so, you know. Just wanted to walk you through the Hobie PDF to give it some clarity, in spite of it's lack of clarity. Oh, well. We'll think of something !!! :lol: :roll: :lol:

David

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks - I think I got it - you and others sent info via email. I've gone over and over it and that's when I found the flaws in the above diagram that were throwing me. (sheet running under spin pole etc).

Then lots of contradition... something showed the sheet blocks on the AFT spreader (I think tiger is like that?) another showing front of the side rails (probably what I'll do) and another says connect to the shroud stays. (way down on the hull?) I think that is for the wave?

Then lots of mast discrepancies so I've decided the tang and something to allow mast rotation. Now that I get why- I can easily figure out how.
The guys here have been really helpful, just weird that it's via email instead of on the forum where it might help others in the future. (the reason for such a forum would be to give support once, and have it last for dozens or hundreds of people down the road?

Post some of your vinyl graphics, Im surprised they stay stuck after the sail fibers get wet. I used sailcloth peel and sticks. I''l try some vinyl since you said you use it.