Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i had another lovely day down here at the club...but man it was ruined by ending in a man overboard,....and a drift for abt 2km....jeez i hate being rescued!:(

is there anyway to prevent an overboard situation? can u tie a line tourself or something!?:S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I never tried this with my Hobie, but in heavy seas sailing my Laser I make it a habit to tie the mainsheet to my ankle. Once I was washed off by a wave on a reach. The Laser flipped over and I was able to pull myself back to the boat. It is amazing how fast a capsized boat can drift away from you. But tying yourself to a Hobie might complicate things if you capsize. Just thought I would share that :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tieing anything to your ankle sounds dangerous to me, especially since capsizing is much more often than MOB. I've always just held onto the mainsheet or jib sheet, it's amazing how tight your grip becomes when your way out. I have broken a tiller connection in the process and that bungie cord that I always wondered what I would use for is a perfect temorary fix. I will be in Puerto Vallarta for week of sailing starting tomorrow. Yee Haa!! Sorry, I had to tell someone that could appreciate what i'm talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

sailing for a week!? AHHH THATS damn unfair:P

have fun there!!

well yea i think the ankle tie may be a bit dangerous....the hobies can pull a ways out along ur ankles...and ull prolly swallow 10 litres of sea water:(

The worst thing abt bein in the water here for a long time is that there are sharks...and jelly's...and often whales....some dangerous..others just friendly...

im not so scared if i can see them...but as soon as ur above water...all u can see is gray bits swimmin past u... or bubbles that LOOK like gray bits:S

scares the bejeezus outta me!

can u tie sumthing else to urself? like a long fishing like with a nice cushiony waist strap...or something similar?

Post subject: Mainsheet
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always wrap the mainsheet around my hand and always sail with a lifejacket, even in light air. :roll: You never know what can happen. :shock: Worse thing is you will be draged awhile. :o

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 11:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Click the link below for a long discussion of this topic.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... art=1&vc=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot wrote:
Click the link below for a long discussion of this topic.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... art=1&vc=1

Awesome...so i guess ill just have to attach a quick release shackle onto my harness...and loop the mainsheet/traveller thru it..

any ideas to attaching it to my harness, especially positioning. Perhaps on the spreader bar?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't ask me, I didn't get involved in the discussion.

Post subject: safety harness
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yes, I know that a hobie 16 is smaller than a 40 footer and that it is much more likely to get upside down, but I wear the same safety harness (used to be an old style lirakis, now it's a new style sospenders inflatable - mustang also makes one) with a 6-foot tether (elastic with cover) and a quick release shackle on the hobie that I wear on the 40 footer. I would not go offshore without one. NEVER LEAVE THE BOAT. Most of my sailing is inland lakes, great lakes, but I've had a few trips to the Keys and North Carolina... my singlehanding rule is life jacket / safety harness / tether. NO EXCEPTIONS This is also a good rule when sailing with a novice who can't bring the boat back to you... by the way, it also applies on the 40 footer when I'm single handing and when I am with non-sailors (or when the weather gets big). I have been overboard with the tether... it hooks at about chest level and tends to drag me with my head above the water. Unless I am unconscious I can release the tether if the boat turtles and pins me under... been there and done that on a hobie 18 in NC... also I've been overboard on a 470 with an experienced crew who capsized trying to get back to me in Michigan in October... very cold... no life jacket... very young, dumb, and inexperienced... Never again.

Post subject: Re: safety harness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

tiphys wrote:
yes, I know that a hobie 16 is smaller than a 40 footer and that it is much more likely to get upside down, but I wear the same safety harness (used to be an old style lirakis, now it's a new style sospenders inflatable - mustang also makes one) with a 6-foot tether (elastic with cover) and a quick release shackle on the hobie that I wear on the 40 footer. I would not go offshore without one. NEVER LEAVE THE BOAT. Most of my sailing is inland lakes, great lakes, but I've had a few trips to the Keys and North Carolina... my singlehanding rule is life jacket / safety harness / tether. NO EXCEPTIONS This is also a good rule when sailing with a novice who can't bring the boat back to you... by the way, it also applies on the 40 footer when I'm single handing and when I am with non-sailors (or when the weather gets big). I have been overboard with the tether... it hooks at about chest level and tends to drag me with my head above the water. Unless I am unconscious I can release the tether if the boat turtles and pins me under... been there and done that on a hobie 18 in NC... also I've been overboard on a 470 with an experienced crew who capsized trying to get back to me in Michigan in October... very cold... no life jacket... very young, dumb, and inexperienced... Never again.

i know what u mean...i sail offshore all the time...there arent any lakes here... so a lifejacket is a must.

I sail with novices often,and altho I try to remain within eyesight of the club...it isnt always great if the guy doesnt know that u have to gybe around...not tack! and just capsizes..then im stuck in the ocean waving my hands like an idiot..

Hey tiphys u reckon placing the shackle on my spreader bar is ok? as in it wont drag me underwater or something will it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm thinking the spreader bar is a bit low. If you had a line tied through the sholder straps of the life jacket and then your quick release it would tow you chest first in your swiming position.

I just wish I could get a life jacket with pockets and a built in trap harness and a strong sewn in loop for my saftey line. That seems like a need that should be filled!

Swiming around out here in the Montery bay without the boat really sucks - I've done it windsurfing. I've seen one huge shark too on a different day - thank god.

Post subject: Using a Jack-line or not
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have also heard that if you tie little shiny pieces of metal on various parts of your body, such that when you fall overboard and are being towed, that you sort of look like a Rapala.

You won't be towed as long, because the big fish will get you faster! TnT

Tinkerntom, aka TnT

and now a friendlier, "RkyMtnHootOwl"

2 WW kayaks,
'73 Folbot Super,
pre '60 AEII
77 Hobie Cat 16