Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder question
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings,
I am new to Hobies and have been sailing an H16 with a neighbor. On our particular H16 we seem to be having trouble keeping the rudders seated all the way down when the wind is in the high teens to low twenties which results in a lot of "tiller tug". Is there any type of spring tensioner that could be used? There is a hole in each rudder and another on the rudder frame that might be used for that purpose similar to the kickup rudder on Sunfish. Any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated. I feel like the rake of the rudders is close to right because at lower speeds when the rudders are seated properly the tiller pressure is fine. Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mike -
Wonder if you checked the FAQ's first
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=467

Also run a search for subject "Rudders" and especially "Rudder Rake" There is a lot of detail on drilling and re-drilling rudders, lock down cams and etc.

Welcome and good luck! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may want to check (or replace) your rudder cams. Had a similar situation where the boat had to almost sitting still in the water in order to get the rudders to lock down. And, as you said, too much speed would make them kick up ( at least partially) again. I changed the rudder cams, added spacers and "Bingo." It sails like a different boat. Smooth, no vibrations and responsive.

The only springs I'm aware of in the H16 rudder system are the plunger springs (not externally visible) that lock the cams/rudders into place. Hope this helps.

Happy Sailing,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the first things I do when I get a new Hobie is replace the rudder cams and plungers. I have had both fail at separate times. It's not a big deal, but it cuts time out of your sailing day.

By replacing these parts it does two things for you. 1) Ensures the parts are not going to break in the near future. 2)It makes you adjust your rudder kick up "setting". This will teach you how the system works so you can make quick adjustments if you need to. This is way better than trying to figure it out on the beach while looking out on to great sailing conditions.

The parts are pretty inexpensive, too.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. I will check on the cams. That makes more sense than a spring system. I will replace those and see what happens.
Mike

Post subject: Rudder Fix
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Mike,
All of the guys that I sail with have that problem due to the shallow bay that we sail in. Lots of sea grass and unexpedted shallow areas. If you go to my website and go to the message board under the sailing section-"Tips and Fixes" you will see the fix that we have all made to our boats. Works great and is easy to do.

http://pirates.dwebz.net

Danny Galeana