Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

More questions???? What is pictured in the photo with the Red question mark next to it?

Is this from an older drawing for the Hobie 16 spinnaker setup?
Is the picture showing this attached to the mast or the front cross bar?
Cleat with fair-lead, cheek block? and ??

Also, #3 in this says it's a block with spring and eyestrap. Is that attached on the trampoline fabric? I'm confused. Anyone want to share pictures of their Hobie 16 Spinnaker setup, with closeups? Anyone? Please!!

Thanks for any help.

http://feidler.blogspot.com/
Member of Surfside Sailing and Hobie Fleet 33
http://hobiefleet33.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, any body whit instructions or pics of the instalation?
I hear a 29er genakers go in a hobie
Regards :P

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

splashTX wrote:
More questions???? What is pictured in the photo with the Red question mark next to it?

Is this from an older drawing for the Hobie 16 spinnaker setup?
Is the picture showing this attached to the mast or the front cross bar?
Cleat with fair-lead, cheek block? and ??

Also, #3 in this says it's a block with spring and eyestrap. Is that attached on the trampoline fabric? I'm confused. Anyone want to share pictures of their Hobie 16 Spinnaker setup, with closeups? Anyone? Please!!

Thanks for any help.

1. Is this from an older drawing for the Hobie 16 spinnaker setup?
Don't know if it's an older pic or not because I've never seen the instructions the kit comes with.

2. Is the picture showing this attached to the mast or the front cross bar?
Can't really see the detail but that is not what I put on my front crossbar. I'm assuming that that's a mast mount. The crossbar mount is much simpler. What I used is a "PX Powercleat Swivel Base," model number 5360326 or you can use #3734241. Got it from West Marine. Was simple to mount and works really well.

3. Cleat with fair-lead, cheek block? and ??
There are no other cleats on this system

4. Also, #3 in this says it's a block with spring and eyestrap. Is that attached on the trampoline fabric? I'm confused. Anyone want to share pictures of their Hobie 16 Spinnaker setup, with closeups? Anyone? Please!!
These block w/spring and eyestrap are mounted on top of the side bar. You might want to take your crew into consideration when mounting them. I have pics of my boat but no details. Will try to tale more the next time I go out as I've made other modifications since these pics were taken.

David

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I LIKE THOSE ^^^^ INSTRUCTIONS!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the help David! Your Boat looks great! Any pictures with the Spinnaker up?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The pole!.. My home made spinnaker pole is coming together. I just got the used midpole snuffer for it and have made the front bridle wires and attached the block at the end and installed the end cap & back end mount. Finally it's coming together. I will rivet the snuffer hoop in place after I rig this all on the boat and see how far forward the hoop should be for the best take down and launching of the spinnaker.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey,

What dimensions did you decide on? I'm building my own set-up too. What is the overall length? What about the measurement from the base of the pole to opening of the snuffer?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

sawyeraj wrote:
Hey,

What dimensions did you decide on? I'm building my own set-up too. What is the overall length? What about the measurement from the base of the pole to opening of the snuffer?

Sorry, I'm still not done yet. Waiting for a spinnaker from Kelly Hanson for over 2 months now. :o

Maybe another month? Or I may give up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

splashTX wrote:
sawyeraj wrote:
Hey,

Sorry, I'm still not done yet. Waiting for a spinnaker from Kelly Hanson for over 2 months now. :o

That would be too long for me. What I'm using til I can find what I want is a 505 spi. The sailing angle is a little more down wind but it works great. Haven't sailed it in high winds yet but. . . . . All the other dimensions are on the mark. Plus, it only cost me $35.

David

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

splashTX et. all,

Excuse the long delay. Rebuilt laptop x2, LOTS of work travel since early February, etc., etc....

No, I have not set mine up and honestly you guys are beyond me. I'm leaning towards the hooter set up b/c the roller furling config just seems a lot easier to deal with rather than wrestling with a full spi.

BUT, I've never wrestled with a full spi on an H16 so I could be way off, I dunno. I can only go by what I hear and the historical reputation of spi's being difficult to manage seems somewhat consistent in general. Just going by what I see and hear.

It does seem logical though, that a roller furling hooter would be easier to launch and retrieve.

If it ain't a blowin', I ain't a goin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

splashTX wrote:
sawyeraj wrote:
Hey,

Still waiting :evil:

Anyone else get caught in the Kelly Hansen trap? the 24th of June will be 5 months since I ordered it. They have given me half off and said it will be complete a week ago....

Unbelievable

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just a personal opinion here, but I'd much rather deal with a spinnaker than a hooter. You aren't really "wrestling" anything, as soon as the retrieval line is pulled the chute loses its shape and there isn't much effort involved. Keeping your halyard and retrieval lines as friction free as possible is the biggest thing. I also much prefer running a separate tack and halyard lineage as the hoist is typically much simpler. You are pulling less line, and pulling the tack out first seems to kinda stage things and get it partially out of the bag. The hoist is much simpler then.

I also have a deep seated hatred of roller furlers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Karl, what's the origin of your deep seated hatred of roller furlers?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jman6631 wrote:
Hey Karl, what's the origin of your deep seated hatred of roller furlers?

I've never, ever used one that consistently worked well. Big boats, little boats doesn't matter. Something gets out of alignment, or isn't maintained perfectly and the mf'r jambs up. Unless your planning on using a snail for dousing the spinnaker its a stupid simple set up, (and cheap).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very interesting. It's the first negative I've heard about them. I do agree with you that simple is definitely better. I've just heard several others on this post say that the roller furler is the best upgrade they've made to their boat hands down.

I'm just surprised that they are as popular as they are if they underperform so much. I have no experience to doubt you, and likewise no experience to doubt the others, too.

One reason I'm leaning toward them is that I am seriously thinking about rigging up a hooter which requires one.