Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine's currently apart in the backyard. What measurement exactly are you looking for with the jib track?

'95 H16 sail #101148
'89 H18 SX/ sail #1053 w/ Yellow hulls

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw some reference to two different widths of jib traveler track. I'd like to pin that down, so whatever you can come up with would be great.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

AntonLargiader wrote:
I saw some reference to two different widths of jib traveler track. I'd like to pin that down, so whatever you can come up with would be great.

On the integrated jib traveler, there are two different depths of the track. For a short period of time in the US (part of 1995) the track was shallower than it is now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aha. Thanks. I was wondering because the pics I saw of that hybrid track system showed cars that looked awfully similar to mine (which are 2000).

So is this right?
- pre-'95 was metal track. Don't know if there were any car changes.
- the first integrated track was shallower with pins and holes to position the cars
- shortly afterward the track was deepened and the cars looked the same but had adjustment with lines
- in 2005 the Zytel cars were introduced (and will only fit the deeper track?)
- at some point Hobie introduced the "Lo-Profile jib block" kit as a retrofit for the old steel track

So any '95 shallow track will have holes, right?

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:06 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

AntonLargiader wrote:
Aha. Thanks. I was wondering because the pics I saw of that hybrid track system showed cars that looked awfully similar to mine (which are 2000).

So is this right?
- pre-'95 was riveted on metal track. Don't know if there were any car changes. There were several different cars over the years. The earliest ones had integrated cleats; later ones (about 1982) had just the block w/becket and the cleats were mounted on the crossbar. There were many aftermarket jib cars, mostly to facilitate adjustment via lines instead of the pins/holes. It was common practice to remove the pins or wrap them with wire under the pin cap to keep them from engaging the track.
- the first integrated track was shallower with pins and holes to position the cars
- shortly afterward the track was deepened and the cars looked the same but had adjustment with lines - this corresponds to the introduction of the front corner castings with integrated turning blocks.
- in 2004 the roller-bearing cars were introduced (and will only fit the deeper track)
- at some point Hobie introduced the "Lo-Profile jib block" kit as a retrofit for the old steel track. These have been around for a long time.

So any '95 shallow track will have holes, right? Not necessarily.

You cannot talk about "Model year changes" in Hobie 16s like you can automobiles because the production numbers are so low, especially after 1990. Hobie 16s are essentially hand-made - there is no automation involved, except for the plotter that cuts sailcloth. Changes made their way into the boats after the inventory of old parts was used up. 1995 was the low point of the "bad times" for Hobie Cat. They had just been sold (for the third time in 7 years) and they were starting to import parts from Europe (the integrated track crossbars and corner castings). They were trying to use up inventory that was just lying around (and essentially "free"). There was a lot of variation in the details.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I get that. I can't change the thread title, though.

BMW motorcycles (my line of work) are sometimes the same. Changes are made mid-year, or sometimes model years are defined as starting at pretty unusual times to coincide with technology changes. It's all documented, though.

Thanks for all of that detail. I'll try to accumulate pictures of it all. May I use your words on my website version of this document?

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I didn't read all the responses, but I have coated wires on my '81 and double grommets across the back of a vinyl tramp. I had orange hulls (Flamer, I think, not sure the year... my mom thinks 79, people we bought it from think it was a 78) that delaminated, and it had coated wires too, but did not have double grommets.