Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What is the best way to extricate poprivits from a part that neets to be replaced? The part being the Mast base. Will I encounter any type of seal or caulk that would make removing the old base difficult, can heat or a type of lube be used to help? Or does it just slide out?

After a friends first time out I walked up the beach to get the cat trax and returned to find my mast on its way to being horizontal FROM STARBORD!!! Rather that from the bow. My over eager friend had undone the starbord stay. Now I am left with replacing the Mast Base...... just a hole in the water to put money into huh?

-CWS

Post subject: Mast Base
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

Rivets should be drilled out. We use a 3/16 rivet made of stainless. You can drill off the rivet head and then punch the rivet into the mast. You can use a 3/16 drill or larger if you are carefull to just drill off the head.

The base may be corroded in or glued in. Some were put in with a sealant. Get a large blade screw driver or chisle. Place that at the rear of the base in the mast luff groove and hammer it out. You may have to move the tools forward around the base as it begins to come out, but you should be able to just wack it out from the back part. Use a big mallet or sledge to make it easier. You can use a bonding material when replacing or not... no big deal. The bonding material can help hold it in while stepping the mast. Once it is up or down, there is no need for it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you I'll be giving it a go this weekend and, when I get back on the water i'm going to keelhull the crew!!

Post subject: Easy to do
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just went through this with my '78 H16. It's really not difficult. The only thing I would add is to make certain you get a PROFESSIONAL rivet gun that can do stainless steel rivets. I bought the top of the line gun that Home Depot sells (about $30.00) and stripped it out after two rivets!! :shock:
Finally just borrowed my father's old rivet gun (he used to be in the heating and air trade) and had no problems with the remaining rivets.
Shouldn't take you too long and you'll be up and sailing in no time!

Fair winds,
Nick ~ __/)