Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Resurrecting an old thread here to clarify something... The Power Pak does not include the Aussie kit, but rather includes the mast hardware, right? Matt Miller seemed to indicate it was the Aussie halyard itself but price-wise that can't be right.

And is the current kit contents (in your collective opinion) appropriate or should I be upgrading that cam cleat to a 150?

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A quick update here. The kit as sold today (as part of the Power Pak) does have the H150, so I suppose that was an update.

It also has a Ronstan curved base, RF5016, which is *almost* the size of the H150 cleat. However, it has four protruding nubs which I suppose lock into a Ronstan cleat but this is a Harken cleat. I would have to file the nubs off the top to get the cleat to sit properly on it, and it would still not be a perfect match as far as the footprint goes. The curvature on the Ronstan base is OK but not great; probably as good as you're going to get when you match a circular arc to a teardrop mast. I would want to file it to better match the mast.

Is the Ronstan base a mistake, or does Hobie think it matches the Harken cleat? The Harken 438 that Matt mentioned looks way more appropriate.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

AntonLargiader wrote:
A quick update here. The kit as sold today (as part of the Power Pak) does have the H150, so I suppose that was an update.

It also has a Ronstan curved base, RF5016, which is *almost* the size of the H150 cleat. However, it has four protruding nubs which I suppose lock into a Ronstan cleat but this is a Harken cleat. I would have to file the nubs off the top to get the cleat to sit properly on it, and it would still not be a perfect match as far as the footprint goes. The curvature on the Ronstan base is OK but not great; probably as good as you're going to get when you match a circular arc to a teardrop mast. I would want to file it to better match the mast.

Is the Ronstan base a mistake, or does Hobie think it matches the Harken cleat? The Harken 438 that Matt mentioned looks way more appropriate.

Did you ever end up figuring this out? I bought this kit from Murray's and it has the same hardware but the curved base looks like it would need a bit of filing to match the contour of the mast. Did you end up filing off the 4 nubs? I also am not sure of the measurements for placement of the block and the cleat, any help there?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I never installed it. I really just wanted it for the downhaul and as hoping the other hardware would be useful enough to justify the added cost, as my turning block was broken. It never became important enough to act on.

Honestly, the Hobie "kits" are not impressive in my experience. I figured that by buying them I was benefitting from some wisdom on Hobie Cat's part, but this is just not the case. You're better off buying the really right hardware on your own. The trapeze return rig was just badly done, the power pack had mismatched parts, the tiedown system was obsolete, I forget if there are any others I bought.

'00 H16 #104691
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages