Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi everyone. Name is Mike and I recently bought a 16 about 1982 vintage. Need some advice. The tramp frame is pretty loose. I can pick up one of the bows a foot before the other comes off the ground. I have removed the tramp and drilled the rivets out of the corner castings. I have some Marine Tex that I'm going to use to stiffen it up. Now is there anything I need to know before I start to glue, like how to make sure the hulls are straight. (I figured I'd measure diagonally across the hulls to make sure they're square.) Any and all advise will be gladly accepted. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

just look down a bit further in the forum, there are tons of posts about tramp tightness. Your tramp is actually what holds the boat together, so before you glue and all that, make sure you have a tight tramp, like I said, there are litereally hundreds of posts about how to do this, and how much, you will feel the difference when you do.

Luke

Post subject: Tramp Tension
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Trampoline tension is critical to a Hobie 16 stiffness and how square the frame is too.

I would not use Marine Tex as a glue in the castings to pylon connection. Marine Tex sets up kind of soft. Someting like automotive bondo would be much harder and more durrable.

The glueing in a big project with all kinds of hassles. You can also shim with aluminum and that is much less permanant. Glue can keep a boat un-square as much as in-square.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just re-laced my tramp today after also drilling out and replacing all the rivets in the corners. I missed Matt's message about not using Marine Tex so that is what I used. I pre stressed the sides of the tramp sort of like pictured but used a come - a - long instead of the main sheet blocks. Worked great. I also used the tapered wooden dowel and it was a thing of beauty. Fast and secure. Now hopefully the Marine Tex won't be too soft. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

747Pilot.

Let me know when find the V1 and Vr speeds of the windward hull in various conditions...

SORRY. COULDN'T RESIST! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bphendri12 wrote:
747Pilot.

Let me know when find the V1 and Vr speeds of the windward hull in various conditions...

SORRY. COULDN'T RESIST! :twisted:

V1 is pretty low right now, I hope it will increase with experience. VR has yet to be achieved as I'm a chicken. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't worry you'll get the hang of it!! remember at the very worst, the only thing thats most likely to happen is you get wet :)

Drop me an email @ [email protected], if you ever get out to San Diego, I wouldn't mind hooking up at Mission Bay, you can check out my 2005 H-16, and I can give you some tips, while I bore you with questions about the 747 :P I love that aircraft!, It amazes me that something so huge can fly so gracefully, Not to mention the level of automation in the 400s, and the FMC's and Auto Pilots are second to none (Except maybe a Scarebus).

It took me about a month just to figure out the complexities of the VNAV system on the PMDG 747 (Ahh yes, don't us airchair pilots make you sick?!)

But anyways, I stray off topic :) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

bphendri12 wrote:
Don't worry you'll get the hang of it!! remember at the very worst, the only thing thats most likely to happen is you get wet :)

Drop me an email @ [email protected], if you ever get out to San Diego, I wouldn't mind hooking up at Mission Bay, you can check out my 2005 H-16, and I can give you some tips, while I bore you with questions about the 747 :P I love that aircraft!, It amazes me that something so huge can fly so gracefully, Not to mention the level of automation in the 400s, and the FMC's and Auto Pilots are second to none (Except maybe a Scarebus).

It took me about a month just to figure out the complexities of the VNAV system on the PMDG 747 (Ahh yes, don't us airchair pilots make you sick?!)

But anyways, I stray off topic :) 8)

Love to take you up on that someday! I know what you mean. I've flown every type of 747 but the SP. Every time I walk up to it, I think "man I can't believe something this big...flys!"